We are sharing our favorite delicious cake recipes for any occasion. You’ll find layer cakes and sheet cakes to dump cakes and cheesecakes.
No matter the occasion, a delicious piece of cake is always welcomed. Whether it’s for a birthday, a holiday or just because you have a sweet tooth, these delicious cake recipes will be the perfect dessert!
Here’s a little story for you. About 20 years ago, I was a young 19 year old. I had just started dating my now husband and we were at one of his friend’s house. She was making a cake and asked if I wanted to help. I told her I had never baked a cake before and her eyes got wide with disbelief.
There’s reason to be intimidated by baking a cake. Because if I could learn how to bake a delicious cake, you could too. I promise.
And hey, if it’s a fail? There’s always a bakery!
Cupcakes are just handheld cakes, right? Check out my favorite cupcake recipes!
Some Basics to Baking a Delicious Cake Recipe
I always have the following ingredients on hand in my pantry:
All-Purpose Flour – I personally use all-purpose flour in my recipes because it is just that, all purpose. I am able to use it in a variety of recipes like breads, quick breads, pancakes, etc.
Brown Sugar and White Sugar – Sugar is one of the most important parts of baking a cake, besides making it sweet. When you cream your sugar with your eggs, what you are doing is lightening the batter with air bubbles, this makes your cake nice and fluffy.
Baking Powder and Baking Soda – Baking powder and baking soda are the two types of leaveners that you will find in a cake recipe. Baking soda allows your cake to turn that beautiful brown color and baking powder lightens the cake up. If you ever have forgotten to add your baking powder, you know how dense and heavy your cake ends up without it.
Be sure to check out my very popular Chocolate Frosting Recipe!
Save this versatile Vanilla Buttercream Frosting recipe!
Check out this recipe for cream cheese frosting.
Some Tricks to Keep in Mind for Cake Success
- Line your baking pans with parchment paper. If you are using a round cake pan, turn your cake pan over onto the parchment and trace your pan onto the paper.
- Always then grease both the pan and the parchment paper.
- Keep your ingredients all at the same temperature – room temperature. Room temperature ingredients allow for your recipe to cook evenly.
- Allow each layer of your cake to completely cool before frosting it.
- After you frost your cake, let it set in the refrigerator for at least an hour to help give you clean slices when you cut into it.
How to Make a Cake Recipe in Advance
You can totally make any cake recipe in advance. After your cake has cooled, wrap each layer in plastic wrap and then store the layers in an airtight plastic bag. You can keep them in the refrigerator if you will be using them in the next day or two. If not, store the cake layers in the freezer up to a month. Dethaw completely before frosting.
I’ve put together a list of our favorite Delicious Cake Recipes. Some are more time consuming, but others like a dump cake are a quick dessert to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Check out these best dessert recipes!
Learn to be a better baker with these tips and tricks
12 Cake Decorating Tips You Need to Know!
My Favorite Cake Supplies
- Easy Watermelon Cupcakes Recipe
- Ice Cream Cone Cake Pops Recipe
- Easy Strawberry Shortcake Dump Cake Recipe
- The Best Classic Macaroni Salad Recipe
- 30 Delicious Dump Cake Recipes