One of my favorite donuts of all time? Boston Cream! I love it so much, that I turned my favorite donut into a poke cake! This Boston Cream Poke Cake recipe is perfect for when you have company, need a dessert for a pot luck or just want a sweet treat!
Boston Cream Poke Cake
I love that this recipe is so easy with vanilla pudding and cake mix being the main ingredients. It’s so simple that your kids or teens could easily put it together! Scroll down for the full recipe!
First, make the cake!
Then the pudding!
Mmmm time for the chocolate topping!
Would there be anything better than this Boston Cream Poke Cake than a glass of milk to go with it?
- Yellow Cake Mix + Ingredients
- 2 pkgs 3.5 oz instant vanilla pudding mix
- 4 cups Milk
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips, roughly chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Bake the yellow cake, according to the directions on the box.
- Once your cake has finished baking, and has cooled slightly, poke holes throughout the cake with the narrow end of a wooden spoon
- Whisk together your pudding mix and milk. Pour the pudding mixture over the top of the cake, aiming for the poked holes.
- Do this before your pudding sets and thickens. Spread the pudding on top of the cake evenly.
- Put your cake into the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes to allow the pudding to set and the cake to continue to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat the chopped chocolate chips and heavy whipping cream over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Once the mixture begins to simmer, remove it from the heat and stir well.
- Take your cake from the refrigerator and pour the chocolate ganache over your cake as evenly as you can. Take a spatula and very gently spread the chocolate ganache around to cover the entire top of the cake.
- You can serve the cake immediately, or return it to the refrigerator to cool the chocolate completely.