This is the best carrot cake recipe, frosted with cream cheese frosting. This is the best cake recipe, it’s fluffy and flavorful, perfect for anytime! Here is the step by step tutorial.
Carrot cake and Easter go hand-in-hand for me. Well, let’s be honest…I could eat Carrot Cake any time of the year. It’s my favorite! Especially with homemade cream cheese frosting! I love serving this moist and flavorful spice cake on Easter Sunday.
I remember the first time I had carrot cake was years ago when I was working at the Alumni Club at my college – Rutgers University. I just couldn’t keep my fork away from this cake! It was something magical! Now it is my favorite recipe.
So many people I know are not a fan of carrot cake, but I really just think it’s because they never had a from scratch carrot cake recipe. This easy carrot cake recipe also gets rave reviews!
The freshly grated carrots and spices really make this cake something special. I love how fluffy carrot cake is. And with every bite having some creamy, rich cream cheese frosting, it’s like heaven!
You can find an original recipe for so many variations on this amazing carrot cake: carrot cake roll, carrot cake bars and more.
For best results in making your cake, I highly suggest reading my guide on baking cakes. I have some wonderful tips, like lining your baking pans with parchment paper and more.
How to Make a Carrot Cake
Be sure to scroll down to get the full recipe with instructions and ingredients.
The recipe calls for:
- white sugar
- vegetable oil or canola oil
- all-purpose flour
- ground cinnamon
- baking soda
- vanilla extract
- teaspoon salt
- 3 cups of carrots shredded (or 5 medium sized)
- cream cheese frosting
Heat oven to 350 degrees f. Prepare 2 round cake pans with non-stick spray or butter or a 9×13 sheet cake pan.
Shred 5 medium sized fresh carrots using a box grater. I like to grate them into a colander, to catch any unnecessary moisture coming off of the carrots.
You can also use a food processor for the shredded carrot. If you want to make your carrots ahead of time, you can. Just store them in an airtight container.
You can use a stand mixer on medium speed to medium-high speed with the paddle attachment or use a hand mixer and a large bowl. If not either of those, just use a mixing bowl and a rubber spatula.
Beat your wet ingredients together: oil, sugar and eggs together until blended.
Combine flour and dry ingredients into the wet mixture, except for carrots and mix.
Add carrots and mix together.
Pour batter into your prepared pan(s).
Bake for a baking time of 30 minutes or until a wooden pick comes out clean.
Let your delicious carrot cake cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes before removing from the cake pans.
Cool an additional 1 hour on the cooling rack before frosting.
Frost with the creamy cream cheese frosting. Get the recipe for my favorite Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe!
Can I Make This Recipe Into a Layer Cake or Cupcakes?
- 8″ Layer Cake: Prepare and pour your carrot cake batter into 2 prepared round cake pans. Bake for 30 minutes
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes: Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners and fill two-thirds to the top, bake for about 20 minutes.
Just be sure to have enough frosting for your cake layers or cupcakes.
The moist texture also makes this a great recipe to make into a bundt cake.
Variations on Carrot Cake
I make my carrot cake as simple as can be. But, you can add 1/4-1/2 cup of the following extra ingredients into the batter.
- Add chopped nuts like walnuts or pecans into the batter. As you can see I opted to just strategically place some pecans on top.
- Many of my friends like golden raisins in their carrot cake, so you can try that
- Coconut is another big carrot cake addition.
You can also add a little bit of these ingredients to the top of the cake or the sides of cake.
How to Store Your Carrot Cake
Personally, I love the way this cake tastes the next day. The flavors truly come out more and more as time goes on. With that said, since you are using a lot of fresh ingredients like cream cheese and carrots, I suggest storing your frosted cake in the refrigerator, covered, for 5 days max. When you are ready to serve your cake, take it out and let it sit for an hour or so at room temperature.
Your homemade carrot cake recipe is going to look so lovely on a serving platter on your dessert table.
Looking for some more delicious cake recipes? Check out my favorite cake recipes.
- * 1 1/2 cups sugar
- * 1 cup vegetable oil
- * 3 large eggs
- * 2 cups all-purpose flour
- * 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- * 1 tsp baking soda
- * 1 tsp vanilla
- * 1/2 tsp salt
- * 3 cups shredded carrots (or 5 medium sized)
- * cream cheese frosting
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat oil, sugar and eggs together until blended.
- Add remaining ingredients except for carrots. Mix.
- Add carrots and mix together.
- Prepare 2 round cake pans with non-stick spray or butter.
- Bake 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool about 10 minutes before removing from the cake pans.
- Cool an additional 1 hour before frosting with cream cheese frosting.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.