Learn how to cook shredded chicken in the instant pot effortlessly. Our step-by-step guide delivers tender and flavorful chicken to use in your favorite recipes every time!
Are you craving a delicious, tender, and juicy shredded chicken dish, but don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen? Look no further than your trusty Instant Pot!
In this step-by-step guide, we’ll show you how to cook shredded chicken in an Instant Pot effortlessly.
When it comes to cooking chicken, the Instant Pot ensures that your meat turns out tender and flavorful, while also saving you precious time.
Cooking a big batch of chicken is an ideal choice for meal prep because it’s versatile, freezer-friendly and a convenient option.
This easy instant pot recipe can be customized with various flavors from basic seasonings like taco seasoning, garlic powder or Italian seasoning to sauces, such as BBQ sauce or teriyaki.
Use your flavorful chicken in a wide range of dishes from tacos, sandwiches, chicken salads, or any of the hundreds of shredded chicken recipes your heart desires.
How to Cook Shredded Chicken in Instant Pot
- 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (approximately 1.5 to 2 pounds)
- 1 cup of liquid (water or chicken stock)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Start by using the right cut of chicken. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs are ideal for shredding. They cook evenly and are easy to shred once cooked.
Sprinkle both sides of the chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and any optional seasonings you prefer. This is where you can get creative by adding your favorite spices or sauces for a unique flavor profile.
Arrange the chicken in a single layer on the bottom of the instant pot, ensuring it’s not stacked on top of each other. This allows for even cooking.
Turn on your Instant Pot and select the “Sauté” mode. Once it’s hot, add the olive oil.
Carefully place the seasoned chicken breasts in the Instant Pot and sear them for 2-3 minutes on each side until they turn golden brown. This step locks in the juices and enhances the flavor.
Pour in the chicken broth, which will infuse your chicken with moisture and flavor.
Close the Instant Pot lid, ensuring the valve is set to the sealing position.
Select the “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” mode, depending on your Instant Pot model.
Set the timer for a cook time of 10-12 minutes if using fresh chicken, or 15-18 minutes for frozen chicken.
Once the timer goes off, allow the Instant Pot to naturally release pressure for about 5-10 minutes.
Carefully open the Instant Pot lid. Your chicken should be incredibly tender and easy to shred. You can use two forks to shred it right in the pot. If you prefer larger chunks, remove the chicken and shred it on a cutting board.
Customize your dish for your favorite instant pot chicken recipes.
How to Use Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
The possibilities are nearly endless when it comes to using Instant Pot chicken breasts. Here are some ideas for using your delicious shredded chicken:
- Enjoy chicken tacos, Burritos, Chicken Enchiladas and Quesadillas
- Make chicken salad by mixing it with mayonnaise, celery, onions, and spices to create a tasty chicken salad for sandwiches or wraps.
- Add it to chicken soup, tortilla soup, or any other soup that calls for chicken.
- Toss it into a stir-fry with vegetables and your favorite sauce for a quick and easy meal.
- Incorporate it into pasta dishes like chicken Alfredo, chicken tetrazzini, or chicken carbonara.
- Use it as an ingredient in casseroles recipes like chicken and rice, chicken pot pie, or Mexican lasagna.
- Top your salads with shredded chicken, pairing with various greens and dressings.
- Add it as a pizza topping for a unique twist on your homemade pizzas.
- Use it as a topping for baked potatoes, along with cheese, sour cream, and chives.
- Stuff bell peppers with a mixture of shredded chicken, rice, and veggies for a satisfying meal.
- Make an appetizer like buffalo chicken dip.
How long to cook shredded chicken in an instant pot?
The cooking time for shredded chicken in an Instant Pot can vary depending on the size and cut of the chicken, as well as the specific recipe you’re following. However, here are some general guidelines:
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast: For chicken breasts, you can typically cook them on the “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” setting for about 8-10 minutes if they are fresh. If they are frozen, you may need to cook them for 10-12 minutes. Use a natural or quick release as specified in your recipe.
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs: Chicken thighs are slightly more forgiving and can be pressure-cooked for around 10-12 minutes for fresh thighs and 12-15 minutes for frozen ones. Again, follow the specified release method.
- Whole Chicken: If you’re cooking a whole chicken that’s been cut into pieces or is relatively small, you may need to cook it for 15-20 minutes, depending on its size. Make sure to reach an internal temperature of 165°F.
Keep in mind that these are approximate times, and the actual cooking time may vary based on factors like the thickness of the chicken pieces, altitude, and your specific Instant Pot model.
Additionally, using a meat thermometer to check the chicken’s internal temperature can ensure it’s fully cooked and safe to eat.
How to Store Shredded Chicken
To store shredded chicken, begin by cooling it to room temperature after cooking.
Portion the chicken according to your needs and place it in airtight containers or resealable bags. Label and date the containers and remove excess air before sealing to prevent freezer burn.
In the refrigerator, store shredded chicken for up to 3-4 days.
How to Reheat Shredded Chicken Without Drying It Out
To reheat shredded chicken without drying it out, use a stovetop method.
Begin by placing the shredded chicken in a bowl and adding a bit of chicken broth or water for moisture. Heat a non-stick skillet over low to medium-low heat, then add the chicken and any liquid from the bowl. Cover the skillet with a lid, stirring the chicken gently every few minutes.
Serve immediately once it’s heated through. This gentle and controlled heating method helps retain the chicken’s moisture and flavor, preventing it from drying out.
Yes, you can freeze cooked shredded chicken.
Here’s how to freeze shredded chicken. First cool the chicken to room temperature. Portion it into meal-sized servings, removing excess air from the packaging to prevent freezer burn. Label and date the containers or bags before placing them in the freezer. It’s best to use frozen shredded chicken within three to six months for optimal flavor and texture. When you’re ready to use it, thaw it in the refrigerator or with your microwave’s defrost setting, and then reheat it as needed. This convenient method ensures you always have a quick source of protein for various meals at your fingertips.
Cooked shredded chicken can be safely stored in the refrigerator for about 3 to 4 days if properly cooled and stored in an airtight container. It’s essential to label and date the container. If you have surplus shredded chicken that won’t be consumed within this timeframe, consider freezing it, as frozen cooked shredded chicken can last for several months without compromising quality or safety.
Yes, you need to add liquid, typically water or chicken broth, when cooking chicken in an Instant Pot. This liquid is essential for creating steam, which pressurizes the Instant Pot and facilitates the cooking process. Inadequate liquid can result in undercooked chicken or sticking to the pot.
Rubbery Instant Pot shredded chicken can be attributed to several factors, primarily overcooking or incorrect cooking methods. To avoid rubbery texture, follow these guidelines:
1. Avoid overcooking by adhering to recommended cooking times (typically 8-12 minutes depending on the chicken cut).
2. Don’t cook frozen chicken directly; thaw it first to ensure even cooking.
3. Use an adequate amount of liquid (like chicken broth) to maintain moisture during cooking.
4. Pay attention to the release method (natural vs. quick release) specified in your recipe.
5. Cut chicken into even pieces to ensure consistent cooking.
6. Be mindful of marinating time and avoid over-marinating.
7. Allow the cooked chicken to rest briefly before shredding it.
Yes, you can use frozen chicken breast to make shredded chicken in the Instant Pot. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly, as frozen chicken will take a bit longer to cook than fresh chicken.
Contains affiliate links.