Discover a delightful Mini Chicken Pot Pie recipe that brings warmth and flavor to your table. Mini pot pies are easy to make and oh-so-delicious for the whole family to enjoy!
Indulge in the cozy goodness of homemade comfort food with our Mini Chicken Pot Pies recipe.
Crafting these Mini Chicken Pot Pies is a breeze with simple and accessible ingredients. You’ll need shredded chicken, a medley of vegetables, all nestled in a creamy sauce made from butter, flour, and comforting chicken broth.
Serve these homemade Mini Chicken Pot Pies as individual portions for a charming twist on a classic dish.
How to Make Mini Chicken Pot Pies
*Be sure to scroll down to the bottom of this post where I have a printable recipe card for you with full ingredients and instructions.
- olive oil
- rotisserie chicken, diced
- diced onion
- diced celery
- diced bell peppers
- garlic and onion powder
- Italian seasoning
- Chicken bouillon
- all-purpose flour
- heavy cream
- frozen mixed vegetables, such as green beans, peas and carrots
- puff pastry crust
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Heat dutch oven on medium high on the stove.
Add olive oil, onions, celery and peppers and cook for 3-4 mins.
Stir in the cooked chicken, flour, and seasonings and cook for 2 mins.
Add water (or for more flavor, substitute with chicken stock), cream and frozen peas and carrots and bring to a boil.
The filling will begin to thicken as the temperature rises, be sure to constantly stir to avoid burning.
Place 4-6 ramekins inside of a glass baking dish (to catch any spills).
Spray with nonstick cooking spray.
Cook the filling 10-15 mins or until very thick and scoop the chicken mixture into ramekins.
Use a rolling pin to roll the dough flat.
Use a fork to crimp the edges of the individual pot pies.
Brush melted butter over the top of the crust, lightly season with salt and black pepper or dried herbs.
Bake your mini chicken pot pies for 25-30 mins or until golden brown.
How to Reheat a Chicken Pot Pie
In the Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F
- If you’re concerned about the crust becoming too crispy or overcooked, you can cover the edges of the pie with aluminum foil.
- Place the chicken pot pies on a baking sheet to catch any potential spills. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes.
In the Microwave:
- Cover the plate a damp paper towel over the slices to prevent them from drying out.
- Microwave for about 2-4 minutes.
What to Serve with Mini Chicken Pot Pies
When serving mini chicken pot pies, you’ll want to complement their savory and comforting flavors with
side dishes. Here are some delicious options:
- A fresh green salad with a light vinaigrette dressing can provide a refreshing contrast to the richness of the pot pies.
- Roasted vegetables like carrots, Brussels sprouts, or asparagus add a hearty and wholesome element to the meal.
- Creamy mashed potatoes are a classic comfort food that pairs well with the pot pies.
- Consider serving a side dish of mixed grains such as quinoa, wild rice, or a grain blend.
Mini Chicken Pot Pies with Pie Crust FAQs
Using cooked and diced chicken breasts is a popular choice. Leftover rotisserie chicken is convenient because it’s already cooked and flavorful. If you have leftover chicken from a previous meal, it’s a great option to repurpose for mini pot pies. Canned chicken can be a convenient option when you’re short on time. Make sure to drain the canned chicken well before using it in your filling.
When making mini chicken pot pies, you have a variety of crust options to choose from. Here are some crust options:
A classic store-bought pie crust dough or homemade pie crust made from a mixture of flour, butter or shortening, water, and salt is a popular choice. It offers a flaky and buttery texture that pairs well with the savory chicken filling.
Puff pastry sheets are known for its light and airy layers. It creates a crisp and delicate crust that contrasts nicely with the hearty filling.
Biscuit dough can be used to create a rustic and slightly fluffy crust. The biscuits will rise and become golden brown as they bake, adding a comforting touch to the dish.
Crescent Roll Dough is a convenient option that adds a flaky crust and slightly buttery texture to your pot pies.
Yes, you can freeze chicken pot pie after baking. Freezing baked chicken pot pies is a convenient way to have ready-made meals on hand for busy days. It’s recommended to enjoy the frozen chicken pot pies within 2-3 months for the best quality.
Yes, you can freeze chicken pot pie filling. Freezing the filling is a great option if you want to prepare components of the pot pie in advance and assemble them later. Here’s how you can do it:
Cook the chicken pot pie filling as you normally would, allow the filling to cool down. Place the the filling into airtight freezer-safe containers or resealable freezer bags. Freeze.
When you’re ready to use the frozen chicken pot pie filling, you can thaw it in the refrigerator overnight. Once thawed, you can assemble the pot pies by placing the filling into pie crusts and baking according to your recipe’s instructions.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2.5 cup diced rotisserie chicken
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup bell peppers (any color)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 cube chicken bouillon (or 1 tbsp)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup water or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz frozen peas & carrots
- 1 Puff Pastry Crust
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Heat a dutch oven or large stock pot on medium high on the stove.
- Add olive oil, onions, celery and peppers and cook for 3-4 mins.
- Stir in the diced chicken, flour, and seasonings and cook for 2 mins.
- Add water, or stock, cream and frozen peas and carrots and bring to a boil.
- The filling will begin to thicken as the temperature rises, be sure to constantly stir to avoid burning.
- Place 4-6 ramekins inside of a glass baking dish (to catch any spills).
- Cook the filling 10-15 mins or until very thick and scoop the mixture into ramekins.
- Using a 3.5 inch cookie cutter (or whatever size fits the top of your ramekins) and cut out circles in the puff pastry dough.
- Use a fork to crimp the edges.
- Brush melted butter over the top of the crust and bake your mini chicken pot pies for 25-30 mins or until golden brown.
The puff pastry lacks flavor so adding melted butter vs an egg wash helps give the dish a depth of flavor.
To omit the butter, use an egg wash (1 egg + 1 tbsp water) to brush the top dough and lightly season with salt and pepper or dried herbs.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
DeeCoo 12 Pack Porcelain Souffle Dish Ramekins Baking Cups – 6 oz x 6, 8 oz x 6 -Oven Safe White Ramekins Bakeware Set for Pudding, Creme Brulee, Custard Cups and Souffle Small instant table tray
OXO Good Grips Freezer-to-Oven Safe 3 Qt Glass Baking Dish
HULISEN Biscuit Cutter Set (5 Pieces/ Set), Round Cookies Cutter with Handle, Professional Baking Dough Tools (Round)