This Delicious Old Fashioned Apple Pie recipe is our go-to! It’s a tried and true recipe made with baked apples and a premade crust.
September is the time of year where here in New Jersey, apple picking is abundant! We headed to our favorite local farm this past weekend to kick off our Fall season!
We picked over 20 lbs of apples of all different varieties. My kids will eat 3, 4, 5 apples a day, so I am positive they will be gone in no time! But, in the meantime, I was ready to bake my favorite apple pie recipe! This is an old stand-by recipe that I have been using for years! Simple & delicious!
I wish I could say I used handmade crust, but I just cannot get crust to ever come out right, so for now I stick with the expert’s! Make peeling and slicing easy for yourself and use an Apple Peeler/Corer/Slicer!
While the farm recommended Jonathan apples, I prefer a mixture of different types of apples for a more robust flavor.
How to Make This Old Fashioned Apple Pie recipe
If you scroll down, I have created a printable recipe for you, which includes ingredients and instructions.
Here’s what you need to have on hand:
- Ready made Pie Crusts – 2 at room temperature
- 8 medium apples, sliced and peeled thinly
Step 1: Heat oven to 425 degrees.
Step 2: Mix together sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl. Add in the apples & stir.
Step 3: Lay one of your pie crusts flat on a pie plate.
Step 4: Pour in your apples on top of the crust.
Step 5: Cut butter into small pieces and sprinkle on top of the apples.
Step 6: Cover with the top pastry, make sure to add slits for venting or see instructions on how to make a lattice crust below.
Step 7: Cover the edge of the pie crust with a thin piece of aluminum foil to prevent burning.
Step 8: Remove the foil within the last 15 minutes of cooking time.
Step 9: Bake your apple pie for 40-50 minutes or until your crust is golden brown and the juice is bubbling.
Step 10: Cool apple pie on a wire rack for a minimum of 2 hours.
How to make the lattice top:
- To make the lattice top, roll out the second pie crust.
- With a pizza cutter, cut half inch strips of pie crust, cutting from top to bottom.
- Weave the crusts alternating horizontally and then vertically.
- We sprinkle the crust with a mixture of 1 tbsp each sugar and brown sugar with 1 tsp cinnamon and nutmeg.
What’s better than a slice of warm apple pie with vanilla ice cream?
What is your favorite recipe to make with apples?
Check out these delicious apple recipes to try out:
- Ready made Pie Crusts - 2 at room temperature
- 1/3-2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- dash of salt
- 8 cups thinly sliced & peeled apples, 8 medium apples -
- 2 tbsp butter
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Mix together sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl. Add in the apples & stir.
- Turn into a pastry lined pie plate.
- Cut butter into small pieces and sprinkle on top of the apples.
- Cover with the top pastry, make sure to add slits for venting.
- Cover the edge of the pie crust with a thin piece of aluminum foil to prevent burning.
- Remove the foil within the last 15 minutes of cooking time.
- Bake your apple pie for 40-50 minutes or until your crust is golden brown and the juice is bubbling.
- Cool apple pie on a wire rack for a minimum of 2 hours.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.