Indulge in guilt-free snacking with our irresistible air fryer sweet potato fries recipe. Get ready for a healthier twist on a classic favorite that’s sure to satisfy your cravings.
If you’ve ever wondered how to air fry sweet potatoes, you’re in for a delightful treat. Air frying sweet potatoes is incredibly easy and results in a healthier alternative to traditional frying.
Making sweet potato fries in the air fryer ensures that every fry is perfectly crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, all with just a fraction of the oil used in traditional frying methods.
Whether you enjoy them as the perfect side dish with your favorite burger, as a game day party appetizer, next to chicken tenders or alongside your favorite sandwich, these fries add a delightful touch to any meal. Substitute this easy side dish for your normal french fries.
Get creative with different seasonings and your favorite dipping sauce to personalize your flavor experience.
This recipe for sweet potato fries is quick and easy (less than 15 minutes!) and you can’t go wrong.
It’s a delicious way way to sneak some veggies into your family’s diet while still satisfying their craving for crispy foods. You’ll be surprised at how quickly they disappear off the plate!
Are air fried sweet potato fries healthy?
Sweet potatoes are naturally packed with vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants, making them a nutritious choice.
Air fried sweet potato fries are a healthy alternative to their deep-fried counterparts. By using an air fryer, you can achieve a crispy texture during the cooking process with significantly less oil compared to deep frying.
The air fryer has become a popular kitchen appliance and if you have a new air fryer, this is an easy air fryer recipe to give your new appliance a test run. Air frying is a cooking process that circulates hot air, giving you a much healthier alternative to enjoy your favorite foods, using a fraction of the oil and done in less time.
How to Cut Your Sweet Potato for Fries
To cut sweet potatoes into fries, follow these steps:
- Start by selecting firm and medium-sized sweet potatoes. Wash them thoroughly to remove any dirt or debris.
- Using a cutting board and sharp knife, carefully trim off the ends of the sweet potatoes to create a flat surface.
- Stand the sweet potato upright on one of the flat ends and slice it lengthwise into 1/4 to 1/2-inch thick planks. Repeat this process with all the sweet potatoes.
- Stack the sweet potatoes on top of each other and cut them lengthwise into long strips, about 1/4 to 1/2-inch wide, to create the fries. Try to keep the thickness consistent for even cooking.
- Repeat until all the fries are cut.
How to Make Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
Be sure to scroll down for the full recipe with simple ingredients and instructions. Full disclosure, I include affiliate links to my favorite products.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
- Seasonings of your choice
In a large bowl, toss the sweet potato fry slices in a little oil and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
You can also sprinkle a teaspoon garlic powder or a teaspoon paprika. If you would like or for a kick try chili powder or cayenne pepper.
Preheat your air-fryer to 400 degrees f. Spray the baking sheet with non stick cooking spray.
Place the seasoned fries in a single layer in the air fryer basket, ensuring they are not overcrowded. If necessary, cook them in multiple batches.
Cook the sweet potato fries in the preheated air fryer for approximately 15-20 minutes, flipping them halfway through the cooking time to ensure even browning.
Cooking times may vary based on the size of your air fryer, so keep an eye on the fries and adjust as needed. Aim for a crispy texture and golden brown color.
Once cooked, carefully remove the fries from the air fryer and let them cool slightly on paper towel lined baking sheets in a single layer before serving. This allows them to crisp up further. Continue with the next batch.
Store any leftovers of your crispy air fryer sweet potatoes in an airtight container.
How Long to Cook Sweet Potato Fries in the Air Fryer
Preheat the air fryer to 400°F and add delicious sweet potato fries for a cook time of approximately 15-20 minutes, flipping them halfway through the cooking time. Check for your desired level of crispiness and adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Relevant Blog Posts
- Air Fryer Recipes
- Best Air Fryer Dessert Recipes
- Copycat Chic-Fil-A Dipping Sauce
- Best Herbs for Cooking
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes
How to Make Frozen Air fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°F.
- Take the frozen sweet potato fries from the packaging and spread them out in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Avoid overcrowding to ensure proper air circulation and even cooking.
- Cook the fries in the preheated air fryer for about 15-20 minutes, for best results be sure to flip your air fryer fries halfway through the cooking time. Cooking times may vary depending on the thickness of the fries and the specific air fryer model, so keep an eye on them to prevent overcooking.
- Once the fries are golden brown and crispy, remove them from the air fryer and season.
Creative Seasonings and Dips for Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
Get creative and have fun experimenting with different ways to take your homemade sweet potato fries to the next level of deliciousness! Here our favorites:
- Add a smoky and savory twist to your fries by sprinkling them with a combination of smoked paprika, garlic powder, and a pinch of cayenne pepper for a touch of heat.
- For a sweet and cozy flavor, toss your fries in a mixture of cinnamon and sugar right after they come out of the air fryer. This combination pairs perfectly with the natural sweetness of sweet potatoes.
- Give your fries a savory and cheesy kick by grating fresh Parmesan cheese over them while they’re still hot. Sprinkle some dried herbs like thyme, rosemary, or basil for an aromatic finish.
- Create a creamy and spicy dip by mixing mayonnaise with sriracha sauce. Adjust the ratio to your preferred level of spiciness, and serve it alongside your fries for a flavor-packed experience.
- Whisk together Greek yogurt, chipotle powder, lime juice, and a dash of honey for a tangy and slightly smoky dip. The creamy and zesty flavors will complement the sweetness of the fries beautifully.
- Blend ripe avocado with lime juice, a splash of sour cream or Greek yogurt, and a pinch of salt to create a creamy and refreshing dip. It adds a cool and tangy element that pairs well with the warm fries.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into fries
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 of 16oz bag of mini marshmallows
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Preheat your AirFryer Oven to 400 degrees for 2-3 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss sweet potato fries in the olive oil.
- Cook the fries in 3 batches, careful not to overfill the air fryer.
- Cook the fries in the airfryer for 12-15 minutes, shaking the fries at the halfway point to avoid sticking.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, add heavy cream and marshmallows.
- Stir frequently until the mixture starts to warm and the marshmallows are melted.
- Once the mixture begins to simmer, stir in cinnamon and brown sugar, and stir constantly while the mixture simmers for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow the marshmallow sauce to cool slightly, then pour into a small bowl for dipping.
- Serve your air fryer sweet potato fries and dipping sauce immediately.
You can also sprinkle a teaspoon garlic powder or a teaspoon paprika. If you would like or for a kick try chili powder or cayenne pepper. Store any leftovers in an airtight container.