Learn how to cook corn on the cob in the microwave for a speedy and hassle-free cooking experience. This easy method will have you enjoying tender and flavorful corn in minutes!
When it comes to everyone’s favorite summer staple – corn on the cob – harnessing the power of the microwave can transform your cooking experience.
Discover the convenience of microwaving corn on the cob – a swift and efficient method that retains the natural sweetness and crunch of this beloved summer staple.
Say goodbye to the hassle of boiling a big pot of water or firing up the grill, and say hello to tender, succulent corn that’s ready in minutes.
Juicy corn on the cob is a versatile ingredient that can be used in many different recipes to add flavor. Its versatility and naturally sweet flavor make it a wonderful addition to a wide range of recipes such as
corn fritters, corn salad or a side dish such as a honey buttered corn skillet.
This quick cooking time effectively steams the corn within its own natural moisture, resulting in tender kernels bursting with flavor.
Can You Microwave Corn on the Cob?
Yes, you can microwave corn on the cob. This corn on the cob microwave hack is a quick and convenient method for cooking corn that retains its natural flavors and textures.
How to Microwave Corn on the Cob
- Ear of Corn, still in the husk.
- Salt, pepper
- Melted butter
The first step is to leaving the husks on the corn, ensuring you remove any excess silk.
Place corn, husks and all, in the microwave oven.
Depending on your microwave’s power, microwave corn in husk for about 3-5 minutes on high.
Take the hot corn out using a kitchen towel or oven mitt. Let the corn cool for a couple of minutes so you can handle it.
Shuck the corn out of the husk.
Butter the corn on the cob, sprinkle with salt and pepper and any of your favorite corn on the cob toppings!
Tips for Perfect Microwave Corn
- For multiple ears of corn, increase the cooking time by about 2-3 minutes per additional ear.
- Use fresh sweet corn with plump, moist husks for the best flavor and texture.
- After each interval, carefully peel back the husks to check the corn’s doneness. It should be tender but still have a slight crunch.
- If microwaving multiple ears of corn, rotate them halfway through cooking to ensure even cooking.
- After microwaving, let the corn rest for a minute or two. This helps the steam continue cooking the corn and makes it easier to handle.
- If you’re microwaving multiple ears of corn, consider wrapping them in a clean, moist towel to keep them warm while waiting for the rest to cook.
FAQs About Microwaving Corn on the Cob
Because microwave wattage may vary, you may need to add a few more minutes to the cook time. The easiest way to check for cooked corn is just peel back the husk a little bit and check your corn kernels by poking it with a sharp knife.
Yes, you can. Place the corn on a microwave-safe dish, covered with a damp paper towel. Cook the corn in 20-second increments and then check to see if it is done.
As a general guideline, here’s an estimated cooking time:
If you’re microwaving one medium to large-sized ear of corn, start with about 3-4 minutes on high. If you’re microwaving multiple ears of corn at once, add an additional 2-3 minutes of cooking time for each additional ear.
Begin by microwaving the two ears of corn on high power for about 4-5 minutes. This initial cooking time will help steam the corn within the husks.
The trick to microwaving corn on the cob is to use the natural moisture within the husks to steam the corn, resulting in tender and flavorful kernels.
- Corn on the cob, still in the husk.
- Salt, pepper
- Trim the edges off of the husk of the corn.
- Put the corn on the cob in the microwave.
- Microwave for 4 minutes.
- Take the corn on the cob out. Let it sit for a few minutes so you can handle it.
- Shuck the corn out of the husk.
- Butter the corn on the cob, sprinkle with salt and pepper and any of your favorite corn on the cob toppings!
- Continue for all of the corn on the cob!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Corn Holders - Set of 4 Pairs (Orange/Yellow/Blue/Green) - Corn on the Cob Skewers - Interlocking Design for Safety and Convenient Storage - Perfect for Home Cooking and BBQ - Large Handle Pin Grips
18 Piece Corn Cob Holders and Dish Set - Set of 6 Corn on the Cob Dishes and 12pc. Jumbo Soft grip Corn on the Cob Holders/Skewers
Chef'n Cob Corn Stripper (Yellow) - 102-812-017
Contains affiliate links.