This easy Blueberry Crisp recipe is one of the easiest desserts! Make it with fresh or frozen blueberries and top with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream. The juicy blueberries are bursting with flavor are topped with the perfect crisp topping.
As you know, I absolutely love an easy dessert recipe that I can whip up with some pantry ingredients.
Right now, we are getting ready to head into blueberry season and this Blueberry Crisp Recipe is the perfect recipe to enjoy with your bounty of blueberries. I am always picking up fresh berries at the farmers market or Whole Foods. My favorite recipes include blueberry pie and blueberry muffins.
Frozen berries sort of melt in your recipe as they bake, while using fresh fruit stays more intact throughout the baking process and will have more of a burst when you take a bite. Making a homemade blueberry crisp is a great option to enjoy sweet blueberries.
How to Make the Best Blueberry Crisp:
Ingredients to have on hand:
- 4 cups of blueberries
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- ground cinnamon
- old fashioned oats
- all purpose flour
- sliced almonds or chopped walnuts or pecans (or a combo of all 3!)
- unsalted butter, room temperature
- pinch of salt
I like to make my blueberry crisp recipe in a cast iron skillet. But, if that is something you don’t own, no worries. Just cook your blueberry crisp in a pie dish or a square baking dish.
To get started making your blueberry filling by placing the blueberries in a large bowl. Add the maple syrup, cinnamon and salt. Toss to combine and set aside.
In a separate bowl make your crumble topping by combining your dry ingredients: combine flour, nuts and old-fashioned oats. Stir in the honey and melted butter.
Stir until the oats are thoroughly coated and well combined.
Pour blueberry mixture into your casserole dish and spread into an even layer.
Spread the crunchy oat topping evenly across in a uniform layer on top of the berries.I suggest baking your blueberry crumble on top of a baking sheet.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for a baking time of about a half hour. If at this point if you have golden brown crumbles, cover it loosely with aluminum foil to prevent it from over browning.
Bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until the blueberry juices are bubbling.
Let it cool for 5-10 minutes.
While my readers favorite ways to serve this delicious recipe is warm with yogurt, whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream. This blueberry cobbler can be refrigerated for 2-3 days when wrapped in plastic wrap.
Yes. Steel Cut Oats won’t cook right in this recipe and Quick or Instant Oats cook too quick.
Instead of maple syrup and honey, you can use brown sugar or a little sugar to change the subtle sweetness.
Blueberry and lemon are two flavors that go hand in hand. So, add a little lemon zest or fresh lemon juice in your mix.
Switch out the blueberries for any easy fruit you love to make a variety of fruit crisps – rhubarb crisp, apple crisp, etc.
One of the best things about this recipe is how versatile it is! Swap out the flour for almond flour or almond meal.
- 4 c. fresh blueberries, rinsed
- ¼ c. real maple syrup
- ¾ t. ground cinnamon
- Topping Ingredients:
- ¾ c. old-fashioned rolled oats
- ¼ c. flour
- ¼ c. almonds, sliced or chopped walnuts or pecans
- ¼ c. honey
- 2 T. unsalted butter, melted
- 1/8 t. salt
- Place top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Place blueberries in a large bowl. Add maple syrup, cinnamon and salt.
- Toss to combine and set aside.
- Combine the topping ingredients in a separate bowl and stir until oats are thoroughly coated and all ingredients are well combined. Set aside.
- Pour blueberry mixture into a 10” cast iron skillet or 8x8" baking dish and spread into an even layer.
- Spread the topping evenly across the top in a uniform layer, as well.
- Place blueberry crisp into a pre-heated oven and bake for 30 minutes. If the top layer is nicely browned at this point, cover dish loosely with aluminum foil to prevent over-browning.
- Bake the blueberry crisp for another 15-20 minutes or until the blueberry crisp is nice and bubbling.
- Remove your blueberry crisp from oven and set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes.
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream or yogurt.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.