This Blueberry Crisp recipe is delicious and easy! Make it with fresh or frozen blueberries and top with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream. The blueberries are gooey and bursting with flavor and the topping is crunchy!
As you know, I absolutely love simple dessert recipes that I can whip up with some pantry ingredients.
Right now, we are getting ready to head into blueberry season and this Blueberry Crisp Recipe is the perfect dessert to enjoy with your bounty of blueberries. Of course, it’s even better with a dollop with some vanilla ice cream and some homemade whip cream or maybe for a healthier treat, vanilla yogurt.
Of course, fresh blueberries are always best. But, man blueberry season is short!!! At least here in New Jersey it is! When you use frozen blueberries, they sort of melt in your recipe as they bake. Fresh blueberries stay more intact throughout baking and will have more of a burst when you take a bite.
How to make Momma Lew’s Blueberry Crisp Recipe:
Ingredients to have on hand:
fresh or frozen blueberries
old-fashioned rolled oats
sliced almonds or chopped walnuts or pecans (or a combo of all 3!)
I like to make my blueberry crisp recipe in a cast iron skillet. But, if that is something you don’t own, no worries. Just cook your blueberry crisp in a baking pan or casserole dish.
To get started, place the blueberries in a large bowl. Add the maple syrup, cinnamon and salt. Toss to combine and set aside.
In a separate bowl, combine the rolled oats, flour, nuts, honey, butter and salt. Stir until the oats are thoroughly coated and well combined.
Pour blueberry mixture into a 10″ cast iron or an 8×8″ casserole dish. Spread into an even layer.
Spread the topping evenly across in a uniform layer.
Bake in a pre-heated oven for about a half hour. If at this point you notice your top layer is nicely browned, cover it loosely with aluminum foil to prevent it from over browning.
Bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until the crisp is bubbling.
Let it cool for 5-10 minutes.
My favorite blueberry recipes for you to enjoy:
- 4 c. fresh blueberries, rinsed
- ¼ c. real maple syrup
- ¾ t. ground cinnamon
- Topping Ingredients:
- ¾ c. old-fashioned rolled oats
- ¼ c. flour
- ¼ c. almonds, sliced or chopped walnuts or pecans
- ¼ c. honey
- 2 T. unsalted butter, melted
- 1/8 t. salt
- Place top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Place blueberries in a large bowl. Add maple syrup, cinnamon and salt.
- Toss to combine and set aside.
- Combine the topping ingredients in a separate bowl and stir until oats are thoroughly coated and all ingredients are well combined. Set aside.
- Pour blueberry mixture into a 10” cast iron skillet or 8x8" baking dish and spread into an even layer.
- Spread the topping evenly across the top in a uniform layer, as well.
- Place blueberry crisp into a pre-heated oven and bake for 30 minutes. If the top layer is nicely browned at this point, cover dish loosely with aluminum foil to prevent over-browning.
- Bake the blueberry crisp for another 15-20 minutes or until the blueberry crisp is nice and bubbling.
- Remove your blueberry crisp from oven and set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes.
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream or yogurt.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.