This recipe for hot chocolate cupcakes will become your new favorite winter time treat! They’re topped with a marshmallow frosting that’s fluffy and delicious!
A few weeks ago, we got our first real snow fall in about 3 long years. While I am certainly no fan of winter, the kids really needed the day to have some fun in the snow.
Of course, we warmed up with the typical treat of some hot chocolate, but we also enjoyed these Hot Chocolate Cupcakes.
I am always stocking up on lots of hot chocolate and while of course it’s delicious as is (with whipped cream on top of course), I really wanted to try something different. I figured a mix of hot chocolate could probably be used just the same as cocoa. And voila! I was right!
These Hot Chocolate Cupcakes are so moist and delicious! And that marshmallow fluff frosting?! They’re the perfect treat for all winter long. I couldn’t believe how quickly these cupcakes disappeared.
I am using a simple box of chocolate cake mix to make these hot chocolate cupcakes, but if you want to make this recipe and have none on hand, you can surely make a homemade chocolate cake mix.
How to make these Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
Be sure to scroll down to get the full printable recipe where I also include ingredients and full instructions for you.
Ok, here’s what you need:
For the Cupcakes:
- A box of chocolate cake mix or you can make your own chocolate cake mix with these instructions.
- 3 packets of hot chocolate powder mix
- sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- canola oil
For the Marshmallow Frosting:
- marshmallow fluff
- powered sugar
- vanilla extract
Supplies to have on hand:
Step 1: Mix your cupcake ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix for about 2 minutes until well combined.
Step 2: Line your muffin tin with cupcake liners and preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Step 3: Spoon your batter into the muffin tins, about 2 tablespoons in each well. I like to use my cookie scoop to help make it easier to scoop in.
Step 4: Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
Step 5: Make your frosting while your cupcakes cool.
Step 6: In a large bowl, add marshmallow fluff, sugar, extract and butter.
Step 7: Mix the frosting until it’s thick and fluffy.
Step 8: Frost your cupcakes and add some mini marshmallows for a fun decoration.
Ideas for Decorating Cupcakes:
- Crushed candy canes or peppermints,
- mini chocolate chips
- Swap out the vanilla extract for peppermint extract
- Dust the tops of the cupcakes with cocoa powder
- Drizzle chocolate syrup, caramel syrup or magic shell on top of the frosting
- For the Cupcakes
- * 1 box of chocolate cake mix
- * 1/2 cup hot chocolate powder mix
- * 3 eggs
- * 1/2 cup sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- * 1 cup milk
- * 1/4 cup canola oil
- For Marshmallow Frosting
- * 7 ounce jar marshmallow fluff
- * 1/2 cup butter, softened
- * 1-1/2 cup powdered sugar
- * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, mix your cupcake ingredients together for about 2 minutes.
- Spoon .your cupcake batter into your muffin tin, about 2 tablespoons for each.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- Make the frosting while your hot chocolate cupcakes cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together your butter and vanilla.
- Mix in the marshmallow fluff
- Add the powdered sugar in about 1/2 cup at a time and mix until your frosting is combined, thick and fluffy.
- Frost your cupcakes.
- Decorate your hot chocolate cupcakes as desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nestle Hot Chocolate Packets, Milk Chocolate Flavor Hot Cocoa Mix, Made with Real Cocoa, 0.71 oz Sachets, Bulk Pack (60 Count)
Hiware 2-Pack Cooling Racks for Baking - 11.8" x 16.5" - Stainless Steel Wire Cookie Rack Fits Half Sheet Pan, Oven Safe for Cooking, Roasting, Grilling
12-Cup Non-Stick Muffin Pan
Domino Confectioners 10-x Powdered Sugar, 1 Pound Box (Pack of 2)
M KITCHEN WORLD Heat Resistant Silicone Spatulas Set - Rubber Spatula Kitchen Utensils Non-Stick for Cooking, Baking and Mixing - Ergonomic, Dishwasher Safe Bakeware Set of 4, Orange
Glass Mixing Bowl Set
KitchenAid KHM512IC 5-Speed Ultra Power Hand Mixer, Ice Blue
KitchenAid Classic Series 4.5 Quart Tilt-Head Stand Mixer, Onyx Black (K45SSOB)