Indulge in the warmth of this hot cocoa cupcakes recipe – a delightful fusion of rich chocolate flavor and cozy comfort. Discover the perfect recipe and creative decorating ideas to make your sweetest dreams come true.
There’s something truly magical about the combination of hot chocolate and cupcakes. The moment you sink your teeth into one of these delectable treats, you’ll be transported to a world of warmth, comfort, and pure chocolatey bliss.
With our step-by-step instructions and expert tips, you’ll have no problem baking your own hot chocolate cupcakes with cake mix.
Hot chocolate cupcakes with marshmallow frosting perfectly embodies the spirit of everyone’s favorite drink, hot chocolate. This delightful recipe strikes a harmonious balance between sweetness and richness.
This easy cupcake recipe is an ideal choice for chilly winter evenings or any time you’re in the mood for a sweet pick-me-up.
Can You Make Cupcakes with Hot Chocolate Mix?
Yes, you can make cupcakes with hot chocolate mix! Hot chocolate mix can add a delightful chocolate flavor to your cupcakes and make them extra special.
How Do You Make Hot Chocolate Cupcakes?
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix or your favorite chocolate cake recipe
- 1/2 cup hot chocolate mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- 1 cup milk or for a creamy flavor, heavy cream
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 7 ounce jar marshmallow fluff
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1-1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Line your cupcake tin with cupcake wrappers and preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Mix your dry ingredients together in a medium bowl.
Followed by the remaining ingredients and mix for about 2 minutes until well combined.
Spoon the cupcake batter into the prepared cupcake liners, filling each about two-thirds full.
Bake the cupcakes in the preheated oven for about 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
Make your marshmallow buttercream frosting while your cupcakes cool.
In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat butter, marshmallow cream, sugar and extract until it’s thick and fluffy on medium speed.
Add your frosting to a piping bag.
Frost your room temperature cupcakes starting from the center of the cupcake and add some mini marshmallows on top of the cupcake for some extra cuteness.
- Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
- Best Vanilla Cupcake Recipe
- Delicious Recipe for Cream Cheese Frosting
- Homemade Whipped Cream
How to Decorate Hot Cocoa Cupcakes
- Crushed mini candy canes or peppermints,
- mini chocolate chips
- Chocolate Sprinkles
- Swap out the vanilla extract for peppermint extract
- Dust the tops of the cupcakes with cocoa powder
- Drizzle chocolate sauce or caramel syrup on top of the frosting
- Make Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes by adding a pinch of cayenne pepper to your batter.
Hot Chocolate Cupcake FAQs
Can you use hot chocolate powder instead of cocoa powder in cupcakes?
You can use hot chocolate powder in cupcakes, but it’s important to adjust your recipe because hot chocolate powder is sweetened. You should reduce the amount of added sugar to prevent overly sweet cupcakes.
Keep in mind that the hot chocolate mix may contain other ingredients, such as powdered milk, which can impact the texture and flavor of the cupcakes. If you want a distinct hot chocolate flavor, it’s a great choice, but for a more traditional chocolate cupcake taste, unsweetened cocoa powder may be a better option.
Can I make hot chocolate cupcakes in advance?
Yes, you can make hot chocolate cupcakes in advance and store them in an airtight container. They often taste even better after a day or two as the flavors meld.
Do you cool cupcakes in pan or out?
After baking cupcakes, it’s generally recommended to let them cool for about 5-10 minutes in the pan before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
How do you keep cupcakes moist and fluffy?
To maintain moist and fluffy cupcakes, it’s crucial to use quality ingredients and measure them accurately. Avoid over mixing the batter and be mindful of baking times to prevent overbaking, which can lead to dry cupcakes. Cooling cupcakes in the pan briefly and then on a wire rack is essential for texture preservation.
- For the Cupcakes
- * 1 box of chocolate cake mix
- * 1/2 cup hot chocolate powder mix
- * 3 eggs
- * 1/2 cup sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- * 1 cup milk
- * 1/4 cup canola oil
- For Marshmallow Frosting
- * 7 ounce jar marshmallow fluff
- * 1/2 cup butter, softened
- * 1-1/2 cup powdered sugar
- * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, mix your cupcake ingredients together for about 2 minutes.
- Spoon .your cupcake batter into your muffin tin, about 2 tablespoons for each.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- Make the frosting while your hot chocolate cupcakes cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together your butter and vanilla.
- Mix in the marshmallow fluff
- Add the powdered sugar in about 1/2 cup at a time and mix until your frosting is combined, thick and fluffy.
- Frost your cupcakes.
- Decorate your hot chocolate cupcakes as desired.