Keep your kids smiling with our brace-friendly snack ideas! Discover mouthwatering treats that are gentle on braces and perfect for satisfying snack cravings.
Having braces doesn’t mean saying goodbye to tasty snacks! If your little ones have braces, you know how important it is to find treats that won’t cause discomfort or damage
We’ve curated a list of delicious and brace-friendly snacks that are sure to keep your kids smiling throughout their orthodontic treatment.
We are well aware of how hungry kids can get, and being prepared is crucial. These great options are both wholesome and delicious for kids of all ages. Meal prep your snacks into a zip lock bag as an added bonus so they’ll be ready to go for your child.
Serve braces friendly snacks that are both satisfying and gentle on braces to keep kids fueled and happy all day long, including the throughout the school year in school lunches.
From crunchy options to smooth delights, these snacks are gentle on braces while delivering a burst of flavor. Read on to explore our kid-approved snack ideas that are both satisfying and safe for those precious smiles.
Why Snacks for Braces
Braces can cause some discomfort for your child’s teeth, especially during the initial adjustment period with new braces. Braces-friendly foods are softer and gentler on sore teeth and gums.
These delicious foods are less likely to get stuck between brackets and wires, helping to maintain good oral hygiene and prevent plaque buildup.
Consuming braces-friendly foods reduces the risk of breaking or damaging braces, which can lead to an extra trip to the orthodontist.
Complete Guide to Braces-Friendly Snacks
Fresh Fruit & Veggies
- Whole Apples, hard fruits and whole fruit should be cut into smaller pieces
- Soft fruits like bananas, watermelon, berries or citrus fruits are great healthy snacks to get vitamin c into your child’s diet
- Apple Sauce
- Fruit Cocktails
- Slices of avocado
- Fresh blueberries
- Blended fruit smoothies
- Sweet Potatoes
- Veggie sticks like cucumbers or bell peppers paired with soft and braces-friendly dips like hummus.
- Blend pureed fruits and freeze them in ice pop molds for a cool and soothing treat.
- Soft Toast (stick to whole grain products)
- Softer foods like muffins
- Soft granola bars
- Cheese crackers
- Cheese puffs
- Almond butter or Peanut butter
- A sweet treat every now and then like Ice cream or soft cookies is ok to quench that sweet tooth
Stay away from crunchy foods and sticky foods like:
- Chewy candy
- Crunchy Fruits
- Hard Candies
- Large Nut Pieces
- Crusty Bread
- Pizza Crust
- Tootsie Rolls
- jelly beans
- Ice cream toppings like caramel
- Beef Jerky
- Hard Pretzels
- Raw vegetables
- Corn on the Cob or meat on the bone that you will need to tear with your front teeth.
- Sports drinks that are high in sugar
- Hard taco shells
- Tough meat
- Candy canes
If your child would like snacks like tortilla chips, crackers or potato chips, cut them into bite-sized pieces.
Remember to avoid types of foods that are hard, sticky, or overly crunchy that can damage braces or cause wires to loosen. By choosing braces-friendly foods, kids can enjoy their favorite treats without compromising their orthodontic treatment.