Muddy Buddies or Puppy Chow is an easy & delicious red, white and blue snack mix recipe perfect for 4th of July thanks to the sweetness of the chocolate & saltiness of the Chex cereal.
One of my favorite reasons why I love summer so much is the celebration of the 4th of July! Between BBQs, fireworks and tons of fun, it’s just a day I look forward to every year.
This year, I am making a big batch of puppy chow to munch on! Muddy Buddies or also known as Puppy Chow, while it has a silly name, is a delicious snack!
Here’s what you need to make these Red, White & Blue Muddy Buddies!
*Be sure to scroll all the way down to the end of this post for the full printable recipe.
- Chex-type cereal
- white or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- powdered sugar
- Red, White & Blue M&M’s
- You’ll also. need a gallon sized resealable bag.
In a microwavable bowl, melt the chocolate and butter. Microwave for 30 second intervals until it is smooth.
In your resealable bag, add the cereal and pour the chocolate mixture over the cereal. Shake until evenly coated, you may need to give them a little stir.
Add the powdered sugar and seal up the bag.
Have fun shaking the bag until a of the cereal is evenly coated.
Mix in the red, white and blue M&M’s.
I store my Muddy Buddies in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Have you had Muddy Buddies before? Check out some of these other fun recipes:
Don’t forget to give these Red, White and Blue Muddie Buddies a pin to save it for later!
- 8 cups Chex-type cereal
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- In a microwavable bowl, melt the chocolate and butter. Microwave for 30 second intervals until it is smooth.
- In a large bowl, add the cereal and pour the chocolate mixture over the cereal.
- Stir until evenly coated.
- Pour the mixture into a large resealable food storage bag.
- Add the powdered sugar and seal up the bag.
- Have fun shaking the bag until a of the cereal is evenly coated.
- Store your red, white & blue muddy buddies in the refrigerator.