This is truly the perfect salsa recipe! Grab your favorite bag of tortilla chips because this salsa will be gone in a flash! You’ll never buy store bought again!
This healthy and delicious salsa recipe comes together in just 20 minutes. It will keep in the refrigerator for several days, so you can double recipe to enjoy with your favorite Mexican or Tex-Mex dishes or as a snack with your favorite tortilla chips.
How to Make the Perfect Salsa Recipe
Be sure to scroll down to get the full, printable salsa recipe!
First, cook onion, bell pepper and jalapeno in a medium saucepan. Season with salt and pepper. You’ll know when they’re done when they are soft and give off an amazing aroma!
Then, add your tomatoes, oregano, paprika, crushed red pepper and water. Simmer everything on low.
Take your salsa mixture off of the stove top after about 5 minutes and let it cool off. Once it is cool enough to handle, puree the mixture. You can do this with an immersion blender or if you are like me and you d0 not have one, puree in small batches in a blender or food processor.
It’s up to you how you like your salsa. Do you like it slightly chunky or do you like it smooth?
Transfer your salsa recipe to a bowl and stir in some fresh lime juice and cilantro. Season with additional salt and pepper if you’d like.
You can either serve the salsa immediately or save until you are ready to use it in the refrigerator.
Check out some of my other favorite salsa recipes:
Don’t forget to pin this salsa recipe for later!
- 1 T. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced small
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced small
- 1 medium jalapeno, finely chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- ½ t. dried Mexican oregano
- ¼ t. smoked paprika
- ¼ – ½ t. crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ c. water
- 2½ T. fresh lime juice
- 2-3 T. fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion and peppers become soft, around 4-5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, Mexican oregano, smoked paprika, crushed red pepper flakes, and water. Stir to combine and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for another 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool for a few minutes. Once slightly cool, puree mixture with an immersion blender, leaving slightly chunky, or transfer to a regular blender or food processor and pulse a couple of times until just blended.
- Transfer salsa to a bowl and stir in fresh lime juice and cilantro.
- Season salsa with additional salt and black pepper, if desired.
- Serve your salsa immediately or cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.