Make your childhood favorite snack! This Homemade Pop Tarts Recipe is easy and fun! The crust is flaky and the filling is fruity!
Homemade Pop Tarts Recipe
Who else loves pop tarts? I do! I do! Did you know homemade pop tarts are so easy to make at home?
My homemade pop tarts recipe is so fun and easy, my daughter can even make them now! They’re the perfect treat to put in lunchboxes, to have for a snack or even for breakfast.
Once you have homemade pop tarts, you’ll never want to buy them from a box in the store again!
How to Make Homemade Pop Tarts
You’ll need 2 ready made pie crusts. Roll them out to smooth them out.
Using a straight edge, cut a big square out of the dough. Then cut that square into 3 strips.
In a bowl, add your jam. We use our homemade blackberry jam because we have a lot of it from last summer. But, whatever jam you have on hand and like will work! Mix in a little bit of cornstarch to your jam.
By adding cornstarch, you thicken the pop tart filling. Add a little spoon full at the end of each pop tart.
Make a little egg wash and brush it around the edges of the homemade pop tarts. The egg wash acts like a glue.
Fold the pop tarts over and crimp the edges, pressing them together with a fork.
Bake your homemade pop tarts for about 15 minutes, until they are puffy and golden brown. Let them cool before frosting.
To make your frosting, mix together powdered sugar, a spoonful of your jam that you used in your homemade pop tarts and heavy cream. Start out with a little bit of heavy cream and add until you have a nice thin consistency.
I like to use the jam in the frosting because not only does it give some natural coloring, but also a nice flavor too!
Drizzle the frosting over the homemade pop tarts and add some sprinkles!
We just love how flaky and fresh the crust is on these homemade pop tarts.
- 2 Pie Crusts, refrigerated
- 1/2 cup of your favorite jam + 1 tbsp for the icing
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- You'll need 2 ready made pie crusts. Roll them out to smooth them out.
- Using a straight edge, cut a big square out of the dough. Then cut that square into 3 strips.
- In a bowl, add your jam.
- Mix in the cornstarch to your jam.
- Add a little spoonful of the jam filling at the end of each homemade pop tart.
- In a small bowl, crack and whisk the egg.
- Brush the egg wash around the edges of the pop tarts to act like a glue to hold your pop tarts together.
- Fold the pop tarts over and crimp the edges, pressing them together with a fork.
- Bake your homemade pop tarts for about 15 minutes at 400 degrees, until they are puffy and golden brown.
- Let them cool before frosting.
- To make your frosting, mix together powdered sugar, the tbsp of jam and 1 tbsp heavy cream. Stir. Add the extra heavy cream as your stir to get a thin consistency to your frosting.
- Drizzle the frosting over the homemade pop tarts
- Add some sprinkles!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.