Make your childhood favorite snack: Pop Tarts! The crust is flaky and the filling is fruity!
Who else loves pop tarts? I do! I do! Did you know homemade pop tarts are so easy to make at home?
Once you have homemade pop tarts, you’ll never want to buy them from a box in the store again!
How to Make Homemade Pop Tarts
You’ll need 2 ready made pie crusts. Roll them out to smooth them out.
Using a straight edge, cut a big square out of the dough. Then cut that square into 3 strips.
In a bowl, add your jam. We use our homemade blackberry jam because we have a lot of it from last summer. But, whatever jam you have on hand and like will work! Mix in a little bit of cornstarch to your jam.
By adding cornstarch, you thicken the pop tart filling. Add a little spoon full at the end of each pop tart.
Make a little egg wash and brush it around the edges of the homemade pop tarts. The egg wash acts like a glue.
Fold the pop tarts over and crimp the edges, pressing them together with a fork.
Bake your homemade pop tarts for about 15 minutes, until they are puffy and golden brown. Let them cool before frosting.
To make your frosting, mix together powdered sugar, a spoonful of your jam that you used in your homemade pop tarts and heavy cream. Start out with a little bit of heavy cream and add until you have a nice thin consistency.
I like to use the jam in the frosting because not only does it give some natural coloring, but also a nice flavor too!
Drizzle the frosting over the homemade pop tarts and add some sprinkles!
We just love how flaky and fresh the crust is on these homemade pop tarts.
- 2 Pie Crusts, refrigerated
- 1/2 cup of your favorite jam + 1 tbsp for the icing
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- You'll need 2 ready made pie crusts. Roll them out to smooth them out.
- Using a straight edge, cut a big square out of the dough. Then cut that square into 3 strips.
- In a bowl, add your jam.
- Mix in the cornstarch to your jam.
- Add a little spoonful of the jam filling at the end of each homemade pop tart.
- In a small bowl, crack and whisk the egg.
- Brush the egg wash around the edges of the pop tarts to act like a glue to hold your pop tarts together.
- Fold the pop tarts over and crimp the edges, pressing them together with a fork.
- Bake your homemade pop tarts for about 15 minutes at 400 degrees, until they are puffy and golden brown.
- Let them cool before frosting.
- To make your frosting, mix together powdered sugar, the tbsp of jam and 1 tbsp heavy cream. Stir. Add the extra heavy cream as your stir to get a thin consistency to your frosting.
- Drizzle the frosting over the homemade pop tarts
- Add some sprinkles!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.