You’re going to love this hearty Pork and Sweet Potato Stew Recipe with its unique blend of fork tender pork, sweet potatoes, and a medley of spices!
You’re going to love this delicious stew with its unique blend of pork, sweet potatoes, and a medley of spices. Unlike tougher cuts of pork, tenderloin can be cooked relatively quickly. That means you don’t have to let it simmer for hours to get melt-in-your-mouth results.
Pork tenderloin is usually on sale at my super market and I am able to get a great price and I can get a few dinners out of it too, one being this pork and sweet potato stew!
How to Make this Pork and Sweet Potato Stew Recipe
Ingredients you will need:
- extra virgin olive oil
- medium red onion
- celery stalks
- garlic cloves
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1¼ lb pork tenderloin
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 can black beans
- chili powder
- italian seasonings
- bay leaves
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
Heat olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add red onion, celery, and garlic. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine.
Cook, stirring frequently, until the veggies soften.
Dice the pork tenderloin into about 1″ cubes. Peel and cut the sweet potato into 1″ cubes as well. Add them to the pot and cook until the meat begins to brown.
Drain the black beans and add them to the mixture, along with your spices.
Next, add in the crushed tomatoes and chicken stock. Turn the heat to high and bring the Pork and Sweet Potato Stew to a boil. Once the stew is at a boil, reduce the heat down and simmer, stirring occasionally.
After about 15 minutes, your sweet potatoes should be fork tender and the pork cooked through.
Remove Pork and Sweet Potato Stew from the heat and discard your bay leaves. Stir in some fresh or dried parsley and enjoy!
We like to serve our stew with some fresh bread for dipping.
More great pork recipes for you to try:
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1¼ lb pork tenderloin, cut into 1” cubes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1” cubes
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp italian seasonings
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 14-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped, divided
- Heat olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add red onion, celery, and garlic. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until the veggies soften and develop a bit of color, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Add pork tenderloin and sweet potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat begins to brown, around 2-3 minutes.
- Add black beans and spices and stir to combine. Cook for another 30 seconds, or just until the spices become fragrant. Taste and season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired.
- Add crushed tomatoes and chicken stock and increase heat to high. Bring to boil, and then reduce heat to medium. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until pork is cooked through and the sweet potatoes are fork-tender, approximately 13-15 minutes.
- Remove your Pork and Sweet Potato Stew Recipe from heat and discard bay leaves.
- Stir in 3 tablespoons of fresh parsley. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired.
- Top pork and sweet potato stew with remaining fresh parsley for garnish and serve immediately. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.