How to enjoy a beautiful day with your entire family at the “Niagara of Pennsylvania” – Bushkill Falls in the wooded Pocono Mountains.
When I was younger, I felt like I could do almost anything. If you asked me to do something or go somewhere, I was always down. Somehow over the years, my self confidence has seriously wavered and I am often less likely to try new things – like hiking waterfalls.
My family hiked Bushkill Falls and I won’t lie, I was nervous! (HAHA!) But how do you show your kids that mom feels like she is not up for the task for hiking and seeing these beautiful falls? This great place is one of the most famous scenic attractions in the Keystone State.
I pressed on and did it and boy was it rewarding to see the impressive waterfall of the towering 100-foot main falls.
If you are looking for some place to visit in the United States with great views and beautiful scenery, the Niagara Falls of Pennsylvania is one of the best places to visit. With 8 different water falls on a 2 mile trail to hike through Pennsylvania’s Pocono Mountains, your visit to the Bushkill Falls area will be one to remember.
Bushkill Falls in Northeastern Pennsylvania is a popular destination from New York and New Jersey since it is only about an hour and 45 minutes away. It is also a popular destination for those visiting the Delaware Water Gap, Great Wolf Lodge or the other waterparks in the Poconos as well.
About the Hiking Trails
Each beautiful trail varies in length and difficulty, all with fabulous views of the falls through natural environment of the surrounding forest. Just follow the trail map.
- On the green trail you will see the top of the main falls. The view of the main falls can be accessed from a pretty easy trail and is just a short distance, about a 15 minute walk.
- On the yellow trail you can access the the main waterfall, as well as Lower Gorge Falls, Laurel Glen and Upper Canyon.
- The blue trail will take you to the majestic waterfalls of Pennell Falls and
- An avid hiker should try the red trail which leads to Bridal Veil Falls. It’s a pretty challenging hike to get to it’s beautiful waterfalls.
What should you have with you on your hike at Bushkill Falls?
- Sturdy Sneakers or hiking boots
- Bottle of water
- Money for admission and the other activities such as mini golf, mining and paddle boats.
- Since the trails are not accessible to strollers, plan ahead if you have little ones.
- Dogs are welcomed to hike the trails too so be sure to bring their leash, water and a way to pick up their waste.
- Bring bug spray and sunscreen.
- Trail mix for a quick snack on your hike.
What is there to do at Bushkill Falls?
- Besides the main attraction of hiking the falls, Bushkill Falls is over 300 acres wide, so you could do a lot of hiking through a nature trail that suits your family’s difficulty level.
- enjoy the adventure course,
- play a round of miniature golf,
- have a picnic lunch in one of the picnic areas. There are plenty of picnic tables to sit and just take in this beautiful place.
- Grab a post-hike snack at the snack bar or something sweet at the fudge kitchen or ice cream parlor.
- Check out the trading post and a variety of gift shops
- Listen to native song birds
- Enjoy the paddleboat rentals
- Have a great time at the mining maze
- One of our favorite attractions was the Pennsylvania Wildlife Exhibit, which is located at the entrance to the different trails. Learn about the story of Bushkill Falls, see the Native American exhibit or learn about native animals like the black bear.
Somethings to Keep in Mind While Visiting Bushkill Falls
- Bushkill Falls does have admission fees. Adults are $15 weekdays and $18 weekends and holidays. Seniors are $14/$17, Children ages 4-10 are $9 and under 3 are free.
- The park is open April through the end of November.
- The average visitor takes about 2 hours to hike through the trails and see the falls.
- For more information, you can visit the Bushkill Falls website.
I have to say it was quite a liberating feeling to get to the base of the falls and something my family and I will always remember.
Tuesday 23rd of February 2021
I grew up in Bushkill, we used to go to Bushkill falls and run through all of those trails. I miss it and often think of going back. Unfortunately now I am scared to death of heights bwahaha omg
Wednesday 24th of February 2021
Funny how things change when we get older LOL.
5 Ways to Enjoy Thrills and Adventure in the Poconos
Friday 3rd of August 2018
[…] Known as the “Niagara of Pennsylvania”, read my tips for Hiking Bushkill Falls here! […]
Weekend Fun at The New York International Auto Show
Thursday 29th of March 2018
[…] test drove the 2018 Mazda CX5 a few times now and it is currently #1 on our […]
Saturday 11th of November 2017
I would love to visit Bushkill Falls with my family. Anytime that we have the opportunity to spend more time together outdoors is a good time.
Friday 10th of November 2017
What a gorgeous hike! Your children are growing up with so many incredible memories from family adventures. We don't have hiking trails like this where we are but we should definitely venture out because my daughters would love the experience.