These slow cooker mashed potatoes are the perfect side dish recipe for holidays and weeknights alike. They’re creamy, quick and easy!
I love the freedom that my slow cooker affords me. My son is always asking for mashed potatoes, but let’s be honest, good mashed potatoes is time consuming.
Slow cooker mashed potatoes are a hearty side dish that pairs well with just about any recipe like pot roast, roasted chicken or a Holiday dinner like an Easter ham or your Thanksgiving turkey. You can get your mashed potatoes ready ahead of time and the slow cooker will keep them warm and ready to serve.
Let’s be real here folks, there’s nothing better than a giant bowl of creamy, buttery mashed potatoes waiting for you! I’m pretty positive once you try making your mashed potatoes in the slow cooker you won’t be going back to any other way!
So how do you make slow cooker mashed potatoes? Here’s step-by-step instructions!
Here’s what you will need to make your mashed potatoes:
Cutting Board Slow Cooker
2 qt saucepan
2.5 pounds (4-5) Russet Potatoes
2 cloves of garlic
1 tsp kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 14 oz can (3⁄4 cup) chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
1⁄2 cup butter
Peel and Chop potatoes.
Grease the inside of the slow cooker with unsalted butter or butter cooking spray.
Add the chopped potatoes and mash the garlic to release the oils, add it into your slow cooker.
Add salt, a generous amount black pepper and chicken broth.
Cook on HIGH for 2 hours or low for 4 hours.
Warm the cream and butter in a saucepan.
Remove garlic cloves from your mashed potatoes. Use a whisk or potato masher to mash up the potatoes.
Whisk in the warmed cream and butter. It may look loose at first, but the potatoes will absorb the liquid. Let rest on warm for 10-15 mins.
Serve and enjoy your potatoes with your favorite meal.
Things to keep in mind when making your Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- Don’t over mash your potatoes. When you do that, they just become gummy.
- While I’m using russet potatoes in this recipe, feel free to substitute with yellow or red potatoes.
- Peel or no peel? That’s up to you. With russet potatoes I do like to peel them since their skin is a little tougher.
- Slow cooker mashed potatoes reheat wonderfully. You can leave it in the slow cooker and switch it to warm. Or if you are reheating leftovers, just reheat on the stove top or microwave. If the mashed potatoes feel dry, add a tablespoon or 2 of milk to moisten them up.
Some of my favorite recipes to serve with these mashed potatoes:
- 2.5 pounds (4-5) Russet Potatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 14 oz can (¾ cup) chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup butter
- Peel and Chop potatoes
- Grease the inside of the crock pot with unsalted butter or butter cooking spray
- Add the chopped potatoes, smash the garlic to release the oils and add it.
- Add salt, a generous amount black pepper and chicken broth.
- Cook on HIGH for 2 hours or low for 4 hours.
- Warm the cream and butter in a sauce pan.
- Remove garlic cloves.
- Use a whisk to mash up the potatoes and whisk in the warmed cream and butter.
- It may look loose at first, but the potatoes will absorb the liquid.
- Let rest on warm for 10-15 mins. Serve and enjoy
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Check these out if you need more side dish recipe inspiration!