I’ve been waiting all winter for bright, fun spring time treats! These Surprise M&M Cupcakes are adorable and the perfect little springtime treat!
Who doesn’t love a simple vanilla cupcake? This recipe is creamy and moist. They’re mini cupcakes which means they are literally a two bite snack! The best part? Once you bite into them, there’s a fun m&m surprise!
While I made these Surprise M&M Cupcakes for springtime, feel free to change them up for any occasion or holiday! They’d be super fun for birthdays, gender reveals and much more!
Don’t like vanilla cupcakes? No worries, how about chocolate instead?
Time to make these Surprise M&M Cupcakes
Here is what you need:
Get started making your M&M Cupcakes:
In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt, whisk, and set aside.
In another bowl, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy
Add vanilla and eggs, mix until combined.
Add in dry ingredients and milk, alternating and mixing in between each addition.
Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full.
Now it’s time to make the frosting!
While your cupcakes are baking and cooling, make your frosting.
In a large bowl, mix together butter and powdered sugar, add vanilla and food coloring, mix again.
Add milk slowly until frosting is the perfect consistency.
Now it’s time to make a surprise out of your cupcakes!
Once cupcakes are cooled, cut a small piece out of the top. The easiest way to do this is with a melon baller or apple corer. Of course, if you don’t have those items, you can improvise.
Fill the hole you made in the cupcakes with M&Ms.
Trim the fluffy end of the piece you removed and just place the top of the cupcake back.
Top the cupcakes with frosting and add sprinkles.
Looking for some more delicious springtime cupcakes? Check these out!
Looking for more fun spring cupcakes and dessert recipes? Check these out!
- 1 1/2 cup Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 drops pink gel food coloring
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 tsp milk
- spring colored m&m's
- spring colored sprinkles
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt, whisk, and set aside.
- In another bowl, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy
- Add vanilla and eggs, mix until combined.
- Add in dry ingredients and milk, alternating and mixing in between each addition.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full.
- Bake 18-20 minutes. Allow cupcakes to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix together butter and powdered sugar, add vanilla and food coloring, mix again.
- Add milk slowly until frosting is the perfect consistency.
- Once cupcakes are cooled, cut a small piece out of the top.
- Fill with M&Ms, and trim the fluffy end of the piece you removed and just place the top of the cupcake back.
- Top the m&m cupcakes with frosting and add sprinkles if desired. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Sprinkles | Pastel Sprinkles | Sprinkle Mix | Cake Sprinkles | Easter Sprinkles | Edible Sprinkles | Cupcake Sprinkles | Confetti Sprinkles | Manvscakes
Spring Medley Sprinkles, 6.24 Ounces by Wilton
Piping Bags and Tips Cake Decorating Supplies Kit Baking Supplies Cupcake Icing Tips with Pastry Bags for Baking Decorating Cake
Watkins Original Gourmet Baking Vanilla Extract
Easter Cupcake Liners and Toppers - 100 Pack Pack Standard Size White Cupcake Liners (50 count) with Bunny Ear Toppers (50 count) for Easter Baking
CakePicke cake cupcake topper Happy Easter Cupcake Picks - 12 Ct
415-7902 Wilton Easter Baking Cups, 75-Count
12-Cup Non-Stick Muffin Pan
Easter Cupcake Wrappers Toppers Liners Decorations Kit Bunny Paper Baking Party Supplies 48Pcs Easter Rabbit Egg Themed