Disclosure: This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #GrowingUpPurina #CollectiveBias
This past February, our almost 14 year old dog, Chester past away. We quickly missed the love and warmth a dog brings to a family and searched for a new four legged pal. By mid-March we brought home our new bundle of joy – Ozzy, an 8 week old Blue Heeler.
After finding Ozzy, we had some time before we were able to bring him home and during those couple of weeks, I spent a lot of time puppy proofing our home! It had been so long since I had a puppy and/or babies we were very lax about things around the house. Puppies are rambunctious and curious! Everyday, our puppy finds something else I didn’t think to puppy proof!
How to Puppy Proof Your Home
- Remove plants and/or flowers,
- Keep poisons like household cleaners, detergent, glue, antifreeze and poisons completely out of reach,
- Keep anything with batteries like remote controls, keys and toys out of reach,
- Invest in a locking garbage can so that your new puppy does not get into your trash and eat something harmful.
- Keep backpacks, pocketbooks, gym bags, etc. out of reach so that your puppy does not sneak in and remove something they should not have.
- Hide electrical cords, chargers, headphone cords, and more! Puppies just love cords!
- Remove all little toys and legos! The first room we puppy proofed was my kids’ room! I invested in a ton of locking bins.
- If you have a cat, be sure to hide the litter box.
- If you home has a fenced in yard, be sure that your new dog will not be able to jump over the fence or get through holes underneath it.
- Get into the habit of closing doors. Puppies love to disappear and get into something they shouldn’t be in or better yet, leave little yucky surprises on the floor!
- Get covers for your electrical outlets.
- Move medications, lotions, soaps, hair products to higher ground.
- Pick up some brain-boosting toys to keep your puppy from getting bored and a high quality food like from Purina®! Purina is exceeding safety standards and leading the industry in their commitment to quality!
I did all of our puppy shopping at Target. Ozzy eats Purina® Beneful® IncrediBites with Real Chicken. Purina® Beneful® believes in filling his bowl with real, wholesome ingredients so he can live his life to the fullest!
BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE TARGET WEBSITE TO SEE MORE PURINA PRODUCTS!
Backed by 85+ years of Purina research, with 500+ scientists globally, Purina is advancing the lives of pets like my Ozzy with nutritional breakthroughs and innovation! Just like my family, pets are Purina’s passion. Be sure to read more on what guides them at purina.com.
What are your puppy proofing tips?