Everyone loves pizza, right? Pizza is a favorite of people all over the world. It’s an easy meal after a long day of work or school, it’s also a great snack while watching a movie, or a favorite of college students is leftover, cold pizza for breakfast.
Who would say no to a fresh, homemade pizza, right? With fresh herbs, peppers, and tomatoes there’s nothing tastier. Did you know you can have an abundant supply of herbs and ingredients if you make your own pizza garden at home?
How To Make A Pizza Garden
A pizza garden is a fantastic spring and summer garden project. If you enjoy making pizza at home, you can take things further and plant your own ingredients. If you don’t have any idea how to start, don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! Here are two easy ways to grow a pizza garden. This is a great family project, too.
Large Pizza Garden Design
You can start with any size or shape for a pizza garden. But to make it more fun, you can make a circular shape, like a pizza pie. You can divide this pizza garden design with a triangular slice-shaped bed or if you have a larger space, you can divide the plot by narrow pathways that reach the plants in the center.
- Select the space in your garden. This spot should be sunny, yet have some shade during the day. Herbs need at least six hours of sunlight a day.
- Prepare the pizza shape. Using a stick or stake, place it in the middle of your chosen area. This is the center of the pizza garden design.
- Attach a string at the top of the stick. Make sure that the string is about 3 feet in length or longer. Walk to the end of the string, then walk in a circular manner. As you walk around in a circle, drop some flour or cornstarch to mark the boundary of the pizza shaped garden.
- Mark the circle in half. Then make an x shape that crosses the half line in the middle, as if it’s a big pizza, sliced.
- Choose your plants. You can use basil, tomato, pepper, onion, parsley, arugula, garlic, oregano, and any of your own favorites. Plant one plant in each “pizza slice” in your garden pizza.
Pizza Garden In Containers
If you have limited space, you can still start a pizza garden in your windowsill or balcony. Planting pizza ingredients in containers is easy yet it provides a plentiful supply of herbs.
- Prepare what you need: large container with drainage holes, good quality potting soil, organic fertilizer or slow-release fertilizer, and the seedlings to plant.
- Choose A Spot. You can use your windowsill, patio, or balcony. You need to make sure the spot will provide at least six hours of sunlight a day.
- Cover the drainage holes. Before you start transferring the plants to the containers, you need to make sure that the pot has a lot of drainage holes. Then you need to cover these holes with something that will let the water out, yet will keep the soil in. You can use a heavy plastic bag with small holes, plastic window screening, or landscape fabric. A coffee filter is also good to cover the holes.
- Start planting. Place enough potting soil in your chosen containers. If you’re starting with seedlings, make sure that the top of the plants sit at least one to two inches above the soil. You can also place the plants in the same container, if it’s big enough.
Once you’re done planting the plants, fill the space with potting soil and mulch.
What To Keep In Mind
- Water the plants when the soil looks and feels dry. When watering the plants, add water until it runs out the bottom part of the container.
- Use diluted fertilizer every couple of weeks. You can also use an organic liquid fish emulsion or slow-release fertilizer.
Enjoy tending your garden and making pizzas with fresh ingredients from your own Pizza Garden.
Do you have a favorite pizza recipe? I hope my pizza recipe becomes your new favorite!
Love gardening? Be sure to check out these posts!
- 10 Ways to Make Gardening Fun for Kids
- How to Make a Salsa Garden
- 30 Fun Things to do in Spring
- Go on a Nature Scavenger Hunt
- Make a container garden