Hot Cocoa Cupcakes
This weekend we were invited to a Christmas party with some friends of my son’s. I really wanted to bring a dessert that was for the kids to enjoy and love. I’ve been wanting to make these Hot Cocoa Cupcake for years. This was a big feat for me because I opted not to make it into a gluten-free recipe, which meant I couldn’t taste test. It’s pretty stressful for me to make something and then not be able to even know the taste! But, thankfully my official taste-testers (aka: Adam and Julia) loved them and gave them the thumbs up.
What’s better on the top of Hot Cocoa than whipped cream! Garnish with mini marshmallows, crushed candy canes and a candy cane on the side.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup cooled hot cocoa
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup powered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees
- Line cupcake tin with wrappers
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl
- Add wet ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Add 3 tbsp of batter to each cupcake liner. Bake for 15-18 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the frosting: Combine the sugar, heavy cream and vanilla extract in a large bowl. Mix until the frosting is thick and creamy. If you find that the frosting is having trouble getting thick and creamy, add a little bit more sugar until it reaches the consistency you are looking for.