Make this penne a la vodka recipe and impress your guests or family! It’s super easy and delicious!
One of the very first meals I made for my new husband almost a dozen years ago was spaghetti. You may have heard the story already. But if not, I will tell it again. I was so nervous, I got very flustered and poured a whole jar of sauce into a boiling pot of spaghetti water and made a huge mess. We laugh about it now, but at the time boy was I upset!
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy here.
When I was in San Francisco this past January for the Winter Fancy Food Show as part of Mom Blog Tour, I had the chance to talk to one of my favorite pasta brands – Academia Barilla.
I cannot believe after all of these years since I first cooked that pot of spaghetti, I was making pasta wrong! Thanks to Academia Barilla’s Chef Lorenzo, I finally learned the secrets to enjoying delicious pasta every time.
The secrets to enjoying delicious pasta every time:
- For 1 Liter of water, you need 7% salt. So when cooking 1 box of Academia Barilla pasta, add 2 tablespoons of sea salt to every 1 gallon of water.
- Chef Lorenzo also told us you should always make your sauce first, so that your pasta does not stick together.
This information has been life changing for me. I cannot believe that I never knew these simple tips!
Check out this ingenious Bialetti Pasta Pot! I have been seeing them at my local supermarket recently, so I hope when you see them too you pick one up for yourself or for a gift!
The oval design of the Bialetti Pasta Pot is to allow you to fit up to one pound of spaghetti to fit without any of the spaghetti sticking out! Of course, I can think of so many other things to cook in it — lobster, potatoes to name a couple.
Let’s get started making our sauce!
How to Make Penne a la Vodka
Add tomatoes and their liquid to a food processor or blender.
In a saute pan, add olive oil and saute garlic until it is golden brown. Add pureed tomatoes to pan. Season with salt and pepper.
Let simmer for 3-4 minutes. Stir in vodka and let sauce simmer on low for 10 minutes.
Don’t worry the vodka just adds a delicious flavor and the actual alcohol content will burn off when you simmer the sauce.
Add in butter and stir. Pour in heavy cream, stir.
Serve over Penne Pasta, garnish with parsley and cheese.
Don’t forget to pin this Homemade Penne a la Vodka recipe!
- 1 package penne pasta, cooked per package instructions
- 24 oz plum tomatoes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp Italian seasonings
- Parmesan cheese and parsley for garnish
- Add tomatoes and their liquid to a food processor or blender.
- In a saute pan, add olive oil and saute garlic until it is golden brown.
- Add pureed tomatoes to pan.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Let simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in vodka and let sauce simmer on low for about 10 minutes.
- Add in butter and stir.
- Pour in heavy cream, stir.
- Serve over Penne Pasta, garnish with parsley and cheese.