‘Tis the season of summer vacations, but you can have just as much fun at home. Read on for my favorite family friendly staycation ideas!
Five Family Friendly Staycation Ideas
There is nothing I love more than the carefree vibe my family adopts when summer arrives. It’s not all sunshine and rainbows, of course, but the summer months, and their more flexible schedules, are bound to make everyone more relaxed. And that’s partially thanks to the summer vacation we all so look forward to. Of course, we can’t be on vacation the WHOLE summer, so I make it my mission to come up with some fun ways we can enjoy our own neck of the woods too.
On that note, I’m going to share some of my fave family friendly staycation ideas with you today. Whether you need some fresh new ways to entertain the kids after the bloom of your summer vacay has worn off or you’re sticking around your house most of the season, these staycation ideas are sure to put a smile on everyone’s face!
Staycation Ideas for Families
1. Be a tourist. Treat your city like you would a vacation destination. Plan a tourist worthy field trip each day. I guarantee your home town has a lot to offer! Visit the aquarium. See a ball game. Head to the botanical gardens. I bet after a little online research you’ll find a slew of fun places you’ve never visited.
2. Get outdoors. One of my favorite things to do on vacation is hiking. It’s incredible to see what sights each new city has to offer. Consider doing a park tour in your area. A day spent in nature has serious rejuvenation power. Never underestimate the power of running it out. The kids will probably fall asleep before you get home. Haha!
3. Go to the drive-in. Better yet, create your own drive-in movie theater at home. Project a movie on your garage door or string up a sheet and set up your own theater in the backyard. Go all out and serve up popcorn, drinks and candy from a concession stand. You’ll get all the charm of a real drive-in movie without having to leave your house!
4. Take out the bikes. When we’re constantly in the car sometimes we miss the beauty that our own habitat holds. Slow down and take a bike tour around some of the prettiest parts of your city! I daresay you’ll notice things you’ve never noticed before. End your ride by treating everyone to gourmet ice pops or maybe some shaved ice!
5. Plan a field day. Do you remember field day when you were growing up? I so looked forward to it each and every school year. Bring back that feeling at home! Stock up on kickballs, hula hoops, oversized yard games and the like. And have plenty of cold drinks on hand. A snow cone station wouldn’t hurt either. Just sayin’.
Now that you have a few family friendly staycation ideas for inspiration, why not block out some dates on your calendar?! And get ready for some serious family bonding!