Christmas Cookies – Linzer Sandwich Cookies
There’s nothing better than making memories in the kitchen at Christmas time! Baking cookies has been a long tradition for me and one of my favorites is Linzer Sandwich Cookies!
To make the batter:
- 2 1/2 sticks of salted butter
- 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 1/3 cups of all-purpose flour, plus some for rolling the cookies
- 1/2 cup of ground slivered almonds
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup of jam of your choice — raspberry or strawberry tastes best.
- Powdered Sugar for dusting your cookies
- Cookie cutters of your choice. You want some that are around 1 1/2 inches for the larger cookies and then some that are 3/4 inches for the cut outs.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whip your butter until it is smooth. Add the granulated sugar and mix until it is light & fluffy – about 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- Using a spatula, blend the flour mix with the butter.
- Separate your dough into 3 sections. Place each third onto a floured piece of wax paper and top with a floured piece of wax paper. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Roll each batch into 1/8 inch thickness.
- Cut out the bottoms – using the 1 1/2 inch cookie cutter, make as many cookies as you can.
- Save your scraps.
- Cut out your tops — Using the 3/4 inch cookie cutter, cut out the center of half of the cookies.
- Bake the cookies until they are lightly brown – about 12-15mins.
- Let them cool slightly before transferring to a wire cooling rack.
- After cookies are cool, spoon 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of jam on each bottom cookie and then place a cut out top on each.
- Dust with powdered sugar.
Be sure check out Blackberry Babe’s version of this delicious cookie HERE!