Declutter and Update Your Living Room – Free Checklist and Tips for Donation
With holiday season upon us our living rooms are busier than ever. Whether it’s friends and family coming for gatherings, or more crowded space with the addition of Christmas trees and other holiday decorations, we find ourselves needing more room than ever before! One thing I like to do is to use the seasonal shifts to declutter and update my home. Here are some tips for refreshing your home and supporting your local community with Goodwill’s efforts at the same time!
- Tackle the flat surfaces. Don’t let piles clutter up on your coffee tables, side tables or other flat surfaces in your living room. Let the surfaces showcase decor and carefully selected pieces only. Move bills, keys, and pocket change into tidier, out of sight places.
- Clear out drawers and have a plan for each. If you have drawers in your coffee table or side tables make a plan for how to use each drawer. Does mail go in the coffee table drawer or should that go to your desk? Perhaps it’s better to save the coffee table drawer for hiding remotes for your electronics.
- Hide unattractive books and magazines on shelf organizers. Fabric storage boxes or magazine boxes are perfect hiding books you want to keep on shelves close at hand but don’t want to have visible to guests during the holidays.
- Add more storage. Baskets, boxes, bins, and benches with storage built-in are perfect for maximizing the space in your living room.
- Donate anything not used in the last year. If you realize you haven’t played that CD, watched that movie, or used that lamp in the past year it’s time to transform the clutter into tax donations by giving those items to your local Goodwill store.
- Update your decor. Switch out an old tired piece for a new pop of color on your bookshelves or coffee table. Sometimes just bringing in something new and bright will inspire you to eliminate the items that you are no longer appreciating in your living room.
Remember when you’re decluttering that items still in good condition can be donated to your local Goodwill. You will help create local jobs in your community, as well as assisting in on-the-job training programs across the country. And while you’re in your local Goodwill store look for eye-catching decor pieces and storage solutions for a fraction of the price. When you shop with a cause it’s a total win/win! Share your declutter donation offerings, or your budget-friendly finds using the hashtag #ShopGoodwill!