Mixed Berry Smoothies
*This is a sponsored post on behalf of Stonyfield Kids. All opinions are my opinion.
Since my daughter started kindergarten, getting her to eat in the morning is impossible. She comes home from school in the afternoon starving! I have been trying to find quick and easy ways to get a little something substantial in her belly before she heads off for the day. She’s been loving smoothies!
I love to keep frozen berries in the freezer for times when fresh berries like these aren’t in season or on sale. I always keep frozen bananas in my freezer for smoothies. When they get to ripe on my counter, I peel them and put them in a freezer bag for later use.
Mixed Berry Smoothies
- 1 banana ripened
- 1 1/2 cups mixed berries fresh or frozen
- 3/4 cup plain vanilla or strawberry yogurt
- 1 tbsp honey
- Blend ingredients together with ice.
- If you find that your smoothie is too thick, add a splash of apple juice or your favorite type of milk of choice until it reaches your desired consistency.
Our favorite yogurt brand to use in our smoothies is Stonyfield Kids. As the country’s leading organic yogurt maker, Stonyfield has long been focused on conservation and sustainability. Each year they keep over 185,000 pounds of toxic pesticides out of the environment, helping to safeguard species and their eco-systems. By saying no to toxic persistent pesticides, artificial hormones, antibiotics and GMOs, Stonyfield has been saying yes to delicious, healthy food for more than 30 years.
More excitingly, Stonyfield YoKids is sponsoring the AZA SAFE (Saving Animals from Extinction) program; together on a mission to help save endangered species! As part of a year-long effort, Stonyfield will not only be contributing funds to field work but aiming to drive kids and their families to see animals and conservation projects first hand at zoos, aquariums, and on the ground where the research is happening. Stonyfield YoKids’ sponsorship of AZA SAFE will support conservation efforts for 10 endangered species, including the African Penguin. In the last 100 years, African penguin breeding pairs, which numbered almost one million at the beginning of the 20th century, have dropped to approximately 25,000 – a 97 percent decrease. Reasons for this decline include oil spills; a loss of nest burrow sites; and a reduction in prey due to commercial fishing.
How can your family help?
- The lovable African Penguin and most endangered AZA SAFE species will be featured prominently on Stonyfield YoKids packaging this year. Kids will be so excited to collect them all!
- Stonyfield YoKids is also featuring an on-pack offer to get families out to visit any of the 131 participating AZA accredited member zoos and aquariums in their own communities (click here for a list). Now through the end of September families who buy two specially-marked YoKids yogurt multipacks will receive a FREE kid’s admission to their local AZA-accredited zoo or aquarium when they also buy an adult ticket.
- By encouraging more kids and families to visit their local participating zoo or aquarium and experience endangered species firsthand, Stonyfield hopes to inspire a lifelong appreciation of our planet and commitment to animal conservation in the next generation.
- Check out the series of videos Stonyfield has created to draw further attention to the plight of the endangered species that ask kids and their parents, “Can a cow save a penguin or a sea turtle or a cheetah?” The videos and other resources for families are available at: http://www.stonyfield.com/azasafe
Now there’s even more reason for parents and kids to love Stonyfield YoKids. Stonyfield recently announced a sugar reduction across its yogurt portfolio – and that includes YoKids. Always made with USDA organic, non-GMO ingredients, Stonyfield YoKids yogurt now features as much as 40% less sugar than the leading low-fat kids’ yogurt. Stonyfield’s efforts and advances in sugar reduction provide a better yogurt option for the entire family, starting where it matters most – with yogurt for kids. Stonyfield YoKids is available in cups, squeezers and smoothies.