his shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #TheDogumentaries
When I brought my dog home almost 12 years ago at just 6 weeks old, I learned quickly that he was a ball of energy. As a new pet owner all of those years ago I had to learn how to help my Australian Cattle Dog mix, Chester put his best paw forward to look, feel, and act like a Westminster champion! Purina Pro Plan wants you to enter the Pro Plan PetCo Sweepstakes to win a trip to the 2018 Westminster Dog show! Did you know that Purina Pro Plan has fueled the past 10 Westminster champions?
In order to feel his best and act his best like a champion, Chester needs lots of exercise and a high quality food! Luckily, he loves to ride in the car so our favorite thing to do is find local parks and trails to explore and hike. Besides the exercise, there are so many different smells that give him a great sensory experience, tiring him out quickly. After a few unprepared trips, I quickly learned I need to be prepared for him just the same as I am for the kids! Here is what we always have on hand when we go for our hikes.
8 Essentials for Hiking with Your Dog
- His ID tags, including his rabies tag and license.
- A strong leash and collar – I always keep him on a tight leash during our walks.
- Plenty of fresh, clean water. You never want your dog to drink standing water since it is a breeding ground for parasites and bacteria.
- A collapsible travel water bowl.
- Poop bags. We always curb our dog and dispose of it when we come to a garbage can.
- Pet wipes – to wipe off mud or dirt and also because my dog actually gets really bad body odor when he sweats!
- A towel for him to sit on in the car.
- A quality food to refuel my dog after our hike!
Just like us, Chester comes home starving after a good hike. I find it really important to give him a quality food since he has a very sensitive stomach. He eats Purina® Pro Plan® Focus Adult Sensitive Skin and Stomach Salmon & Rice Formula. Real salmon is the #1 ingredient and the rice and oat meal are easily digestible for him. Plus, there are omega-6 fatty acids and zinc that helps promote a healthy skin and coat.
Whether you have a show dog or a pet, they are beautiful, loving and deserving!
I love how easy Petco makes it for me to pick up Chester’s Purina® Pro Plan® Focus Adult Sensitive Skin and Stomach Salmon & Rice Formula.
How do you keep your dog looking and feeling like best in show?