This recipe was delicious…well of couse it was – it’s Pioneer Woman’s!
Unfortunately I am not brave enough yet to try and make homemade pie crust; maybe next time!
Chicken Pot Pie – Recipe from “The Pioneer Woman Cooks”
Makes one 9-inch pie
3 Celery Stalks
3 Carrots peeled
1 large yellow onion
4 tablespoon (1/2 stick) butter
1/2 cup frozen peas
2 cups cooked chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp ground thyme
1 tsp salt
black pepper to taste
1 pie crust
– Finely dice the carrots, celery, onion. You’ll see my chicken in the background. I cooked boiled 3 chicken breasts and then shredded them up when they cooled.
– Melt butter over medium heat.
– Add veggies and saute until they start to turn translucent, a couple of minutes.
– Add the chicken and stir to combine.
– Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and chicken, stir to combine. Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring gently.
-Pour in the chicken broth , stirring constantly. At this point a gravy will form.
– Add the cream (Note: I used 1 cup of 2% milk instead and did not find there to be any problems at all) and stir. All the mixture to cook over low heat. After about 4 minutes the mixture will thicken.
– Add your spices
– Pour the mixture into a pie pan. I sprayed mine with some cooking spray and put a cookie sheet underneath to catch any spillage. I love pie dishes like these. I got this one a few years ago at the Christmas Tree Shoppe. I have some for the fall too.
– Roll out the crust so that it is 1 inch larger than the pan and place on top of the mixture. Cut a few small slits on top. Press the crust gently into the sides to seal.
-Bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees or until the crust is golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.