Gardening with your children can be an experience you all look forward to if you present it the right way. Read on for 10 ways to make gardening with kids fun, so they’ll want to do it again and again!
10 Ways to Make Gardening with Kids Fun
With summer upon us and weeks upon weeks at home with the kids, us parents are going to have to get creative. Even their favorite activities become “boring” when they’ve done them over and over. Gardening is an activity that can grow into a full-fledged hobby and something that you can enjoy together for years to come. The key is to not make gardening with kids a chore. While you and I both know that it’s a healthy way to get them to move their bodies and connect with nature, they’ll just see it as pure and simple fun! And you can count gardening as one more way to entertain your little ones in the summertime.
These ten simple ways to foster a love for gardening in your kids should do the trick in no time!
Sweet and Simple Ideas to Make Gardening with Kids Fun
1. Play with water. Whether you hand them a hose or a watering can, kids love any excuse to get wet!
2. Build a fairy garden. Explain that the fairies need to have the area around their home taken care of or they can’t stay.
3. Have a scavenger hunt. Look for leaves, worms, you name it. There’s no shortage of fun finds in a garden!
4. Give them a plot. Give them some ownership over a small area so they can feel the accomplishment of caring for something that’s all theirs.
5. Paint rock garden markers. Arts and crafts fans will love decorating markers for the garden and it will probably make them want to spend more time there.
6. Cook something that they harvested. Show them how fulfilling it can be to prepare a dish with something they have grown. I recently wrote all about how to make a salsa garden with the kids!
7. Get them their own tools. I’m talking gardening gloves, shovels, wheelbarrows, you get the picture. You won’t have to ask them twice to join you in the garden!
8. Don’t stress about the mess. They’re going to get dirty, really dirty. Take a deep breath. This is the good old fashioned kind of fun that’s good for them!
9. Turn pulling weeds into a race. This less than exciting activity can turn into a light-hearted competition that takes the chore out of it.
10. Let them choose something to plant. Kids thrive on being involved with the process. Let them make even a tiny decision and they’ll feel like they’re part of the team!
So, are you ready to make gardening with kids fun or what? These fun and easy tips should help!