6 Ways to Keep Your Family Safe Online
The reviewer has been compensated in the form of a Best Buy Gift Card and/or received the product/service at a reduced price or for free.
Over the last decade or so, it’s become amazing to see how much of our home is now on a network. At any given moment throughout the day, you will find us on the computer, our smart phones, tablets or the smart TV. The constant stream of activity also puts us into a very vulnerable situation. Whether it’s our banking information or my children using the web, it makes me nervous!
In this day and age, it is impossible to live our lives without the internet. Talk to your family about being safe. So how can you keep your family safe online?
- Use a hard-to-figure out password for your WiFi connection. Do your best to avoid using public hot-spots and WiFi connections.
- While it can be hard to remember them all, try not to use the same password for everything you do. Think about how easy it will be to hack into all of your devices and accounts once your password is stolen.
- Set boundaries and restrictions as to how much internet and device time your children use, as well as what types of apps, games and websites they have access to.
- Install Parental Controls. Parental Controls allow you to be sure your children are accessing age-appropriate content. It will also be sure that they cannot make any purchases or change settings or passwords without you.
- While it can feel nice for your children to make friends online, it can be a great source of danger. Communicate the risks of cyber bullying, grooming and online predators. Have a discussion that not everything on the internet is what it seems.
- Pick up a Smart Firewall for your home, like CUJO.
CUJO, a smart firewall for your connected home, will bring business-level security in your home network. It will secure all of the devices on your home’s WiFi router by detected and blocking malicious sites viruses and hacks. In addition, CUJO lets you control what your kids access online with parental controls.
CUJO’s parental controls feature an internet filter, time limits, social media monitoring, the ability to pause the internet in your home, alerts & reporting and allows you to create user profiles and settings.