Homemade Penne a la Vodka
I participated in Mom Blog Tour Winter Fancy Food Show (#MomBlogTourFF) on behalf of Wendy’s Bloggers. I received Academia Barilla and Bialetti products to facilitate my review, but my opinions and the recipe are my own.
One of the very first meals I made for my new husband almost a dozen years ago was spaghetti. You may have heard the story already. But if not, I will tell it again. I was so nervous, I got very flustered and poured a whole jar of sauce into a boiling pot of spaghetti water and made a huge mess. We laugh about it now, but at the time boy was I upset!
When I was in San Francisco this past January for the Winter Fancy Food Show as part of Mom Blog Tour, I had the chance to talk to one of my favorite pasta brands – Academia Barilla. I cannot believe after all of these years since I first cooked that pot of spaghetti, I was making pasta wrong! Thanks to Academia Barilla’s Chef Lorenzo, I finally learned the secrets to enjoying delicious pasta every time.
- For 1 Liter of water, you need 7% salt. So when cooking 1 box of Academia Barilla pasta, add 2 tablespoons of sea salt to every 1 gallon of water.
- Chef Lorenzo also told us you should always make your sauce first, so that your pasta does not stick together.
This information has been life changing for me. I cannot believe that I never knew these simple tips!
Academia Barilla is made in Italy with sustainable wheat. Barilla lives and works by the mantra “good for you and good for the planet” and since 2010 they have worked to lower the amount of water they use by 19%. Because of the bronzed dye that they use to create the pasta and it’s high gluten and protein content, Academia Barilla’s pastas are very similar to that of homemade pasta, it really can stand up to the sauce you use.
I am really excited to share a recipe that goes perfectly with Academia Barilla’s Penne Rigate Pasta — Penne a la Vodka.
What a I learned years ago, about right after I had my first kitchen mishap, is that to make good food, you really need good cookware! I wonder now how I created anything before Bialetti products entered by kitchen!
Check out this ingenius Bialetti Pasta Pot! I have been seeing them at my local supermarket recently, so I hope when you see them too you pick one up for yourself or for a gift!
The oval design of the Bialetti Pasta Pot is to allow you to fit up to one pound of spaghetti to fit without any of the spaghetti sticking out! Of course, I can think of so many other things to cook in it — lobster, potatoes to name a couple.
Bialetti is an iconic name, with 9 out of 10 households in Italy owning Bialetti’s iconic “Moka Express” stovetop coffee maker.
- 1 package Academia Barilla pasta, cooked per package instructions
- 24 oz plum tomatoes
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- ¼ cup vodka
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp Italian seasonings
- Parmesan cheese and parsley for garnish
- Add tomatoes and their liquid to a food processor or blender.
- In Bialetti Mineral DS Saute pan, add olive oil and saute garlic until it is golden brown.
- Add pureed tomatoes to pan.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Let simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in vodka and let sauce simmer on low for about 10 minutes.
- Add in butter and stir.
- Pour in heavy cream, stir.
- Serve over Penne Pasta, garnish with parsley and cheese.
The Bialetti Mineral DS saute pans were perfect for this Penne a la Vodka recipe thanks their anodized surface and micro-divot texture. This makes the pans a very durable non-stick, evenly distributing oil, searing foo better. They are oven and metal-utensil safe, PFOA-free and can be used on any cooktop surface!
One lucky reader is going to transform the way they cook when they win a wonderful prize pack from Academia Barilla and Bialetti! You will receive Assorted Academia Barilla pasta and merchandise and the Bialetti Pasta Pot and Mineral DS cookware! One winner per household, email address, or home address. If you have won this prize on another blog you are ineligible to win again. Winner must have a U.S.-based address to receive the prize. Giveaway will end 5/10 at 11:59p ET. Good luck!