7 Ways to Save at the Gas Pump
This is a sponsored post on behalf of the Fuel Rewards Program in association with the Women’s Choice Award.
Over the course of the last decade, we’ve seen gas prices rise to some almost unaffordable prices. As a stay-at-home and work-at-home mom, I no longer travel to an office everyday, but I can tell you I still do my fair share of driving. There is always something, someone needs. There’s baseball, dance and cub scouts to get to. There are family and friends to see. Where I live in New Jersey, it seems as if the average drive anywhere is at least 20-25 minutes away.
Believe it or not though, it isn’t that hard to save at the pump! Here are 7 Ways to Save at the Gas Pump!
→ Plan your trips. Map out where you need to go and a list of what you need. If you can pick up items or do errands in a close proximity to one another, do that versus running all over town. Maybe even carpool with other moms going to the same place as your child!
→ If you notice, gas prices tend to rise later in the week toward the weekend. Fill up on a Tuesday or a Wednesday when prices are lower.
→ I recently found that my local supermarket will reward me with a discount on gas when I shop there!
→ Drive smart! Maximize fuel efficiency by driving the speed limit and leave 2-3 car lengths between you and the car in front of you to avoid quick braking. Don’t idle your car either.
→ Take care of your car. Perform the scheduled maintenance on it like oil changes, check the tire pressure to make sure your tires are inflated. Get tune ups to ensure proper engine function.
→ In the summer months, park in the shade. Believe it or not, the hot sun will evaporate the gas in your tank!
→ Sign up for the Fuel Rewards Program!
The Fuel Rewards® Program (www.fuelrewards.com) is a loyalty program that allows members to earn rewards on everyday purchases and redeem them to save on Shell gasoline.
How Does it Work?
Whenever you shop, dine or make other day-to-day purchases at any merchant or restaurant participating in the Fuel Rewards program, you earn cents-per-gallon discounts on fuel known as Fuel Rewards savings. The savings you earn between fill-ups are then combined to drive down the price you pay at the pump.
Sign up for the program, link your credit or debit cards to your Fuel Rewards account and start earning rewards:
- Use a linked credit card when you dine at any of the 10,000 participating restaurants and earn 10¢/gal for every $50 you spend on qualifying purchases.
- Shop online through www.fuelrewards.com with retailers such as Sports Authority, Kohl’s, The Home Depot, Sephora and more. Earn 5¢/gal for every $50 you spend on qualifying purchases, plus many of these retailers offer double (2X) and triple (3X) rewards.
- Use a linked payment card with retailers offering card-linked offers with a wide variety of merchants. Earn at least 5¢/gal for every $50 you spend on qualifying purchases while shopping the brand names you know and love.
- Link a participating grocer rewards card and buy groceries at participating grocery stores. The rewards you can earn vary by grocer.
- Book flights, hotels, car rentals or vacation packages through www.fuelrewards.com (powered by Priceline) to earn 5¢/gal for every qualifying $50 you spend.
Not to mention you save at least 3¢/gal on every fill-up just for being a Fuel Rewards member. When you’re ready to redeem your rewards, simply swipe your Fuel Rewards card at the pump and the price will automatically roll back*! It’s that easy!
Plus, from now until June 5, when you sign up for Fuel Rewards you will save 25¢/gal on your 2nd fill-up at participating Shell stations.**
Check out this video to see how other Fuel Rewards members have saved.