Red Velvet Waffles
I’ll be honest, I have never really been big on Valentine’s Day. My husband was either working or deployed with the Navy, so it just never really was something we felt the need to do. But, once we had our children, I had two adorable Valentine’s to share the day with me, so my tune quickly changed.
Starting the day off with a fun breakfast is always welcomed. Most people’s mornings are either hustle and bustle or slow and sleepy. So, actually taking the time to put together a meal for anyone means a lot first thing in the morning!
My Mini Chef’s favorite job in the kitchen is to mix. She loves to crack the eggs and add all of the ingredients to mix it together.
Start off with your favorite waffle recipe. Ours is from the Betty Crocker cookbook I got 10+ years ago at my Bridal Shower. Then add 1 heaping tablespoon of cocoa powder and 1 1/2 tablespoons of red food coloring. If you are against food coloring like I am, try We’re Parent’s recipe to use Beets for the red coloring instead.
We also got our Waffle Iron at our Bridal Shower and we still love it. Before you whip your ingredients together, be sure to heat the waffle iron up. Let the ingredients stand for 4-5 minutes. Pour about 2/3 cup of batter in the center of the waffle iron, close the lid and bake for about 5 minutes.
It wouldn’t be Valentine’s Day without heart shaped everything, so of course we used our heart shaped cookie cutters to cut some cute shapes out. A dusting of powdered sugar and a dollop of whipped cream finished breakfast off.
Red Velvet Waffles
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp red food coloring
Heat waffle iron,
Beat the eggs until fluffy,
Add the additional ingredients until smooth,
Pour 2/3 cup of batter in the middle of the waffle iron,
Close lid of the waffle iron and bake about 5 minutes until finished baking,
Cut out into hearts, dust with powdered sugar and top with whipped cream.
I am hosting Mini Chef Mondays along with 11 fabulous bloggers!
We would love it if you would share your Mini Chef posts with us each week, too! Follow along socially and join in on the fun by using our hashtag #MiniChefMondays to share creations your mini chef created in the kitchen. Additionally, if you have a kid-friendly recipe that kids can easily recreate link up! Don’t have a blog? Share the URL of your instagram photo in our linky below.
- Easy Fruit Salad Recipe for Valentine’s Day // Courtney’s Sweets
- Red Velvet Waffles // Momma Lew
- Homemade Cherry Banana Ice Cream // Baby Loving Mama
- Peanut Butter Cheesecake Overnight Oats // We’re Parents
- Chocolate & Sprinkle Coated Shortbread Cookies // Frugal Novice
- Best Lactation Cookies Recipe // Eating Richly
- Brown Bag Microwave Popcorn // Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps
- Chicken & Broccolli Quesadilla // Step Stool Chef
- Farro with Roasted Vegetables // Vegging at the Shore
- Chocolate Strawberry Puppy Chow // Mom’s Messy Miracles
- Healthy Ambrosia Salad // O’Boy! Organic
- Cinnamon Sugar Dessert Preussens // Can’t Google Everything