Creamy White Chicken Chili
Creamy White Chicken Chili has been on my list of recipes to make for years. With the new year, I have been trying very hard to stick to a meal plan, so this was one of the first I put on my plan to make. I am so glad I did because it was a huge hit and is so comforting for the winter months!
I picked up a chicken at Aldi and I cooked it up in my dutch oven. I love dutch oven cooking. I made some more fresh chicken broth and used the chicken for this Creamy White Chicken Chili recipe and still had plenty of chicken left for salads.
After I cooked the chicken and it was cool enough to handle, I shredded it and added 4 cups back into the dutch oven, along with 2 cups of reserved chicken broth.
Next, we added chili powder, cumin, a can of corn and 2 cans of white beans. If you like heat, you could also add chopped green chilis and some cayenne powder.
While that simmers in the dutch oven, it was time to make the creamy base. In a small sauce pan, melt butter and whisk in flour. Next add in milk and chicken bouillon. Let that thicken and add salt and pepper to taste.
Enjoy with your favorite chili toppings like tortilla chips, cheese or avocado!
*This recipe was adapted from Lovely Little Kitchen’s Crock Pot Creamy White Chicken Chili.
- 4 cups shredded chicken
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 4.5 oz chopped green chilis *optional
- Dash cayenne powder *optional
- 15 oz can of corn, drained
- 2 15 oz cans of white beans like Cannellini or Great Northern, drained
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon
- ½ cup sour cream
- salt & pepper
- In dutch oven, simmer chicken, broth, corn, beans and seasonings together.
- In a separate pot, melt better and add flour. Brown.
- Add milk and chicken bouillon, salt and pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes to allow mixture to thicken.
- Mix creamy base into the dutch oven.
- Mix in sour cream and additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Simmer for one hour to let flavors meld together.
I am hosting Mini Chef Mondays along with 11 fabulous bloggers!
Be sure to check out each of their Mini Chef posts as well. We would love it if you would share your Mini Chef posts with us each week, too! Follow along socially and join in on the fun by using our hashtag #MiniChefMondays to share creations your mini chef created in the kitchen. Additionally, if you have a kid-friendly recipe that kids can easily recreate link up! Don’t have a blog? Share the URL of your instagram photo in our linky below.
- No Bake Oreo Cheesecake // Courtney’s Sweets
- Creamy White Chicken Chili // Momma Lew
- Cherry Brownie Parfaits // Baby Loving Mama
- Baked Taco Casserole // We’re Parents
- Berry Sorbet // Frugal Novice
- Healthy Football Appetizer Seahawks Fruit Salad // Eating Richly
- Heart Shaped Eggs with Bacon Hearts // Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps
- I Love You Cupcake Fondue // Step Stool Chef
- Chocolate Dutch Baby // Vegging at the Shore
- Meatball Sub Cups // Mom’s Messy Miracles
- Best Cookbooks for Children // O’Boy! Organic
- Apple Sandwiches and Preschoolers Cook Cookbook Giveaway // Can’t Google Everything