For the first time ever we decided to do a little Spring Break getaway! We headed down to our favorite family destination – Myrtle Beach.
This was our 4th trip to Myrtle Beach, but the first time we decided to head out of our resort and do a bit of real sight seeing. Since we stay at the Crown Reef Resort, which has an enclosed water park, my kids never wanted to leave the water.
Here are 10 Facts You Didn’t Know About Vacation Myrtle Beach Resorts:
1. All 14 resorts are oceanfront, making it easy to hop in the surf to swim, skimboard, parasail or just sit in the beach sunshine whenever you please.
2. Crown Reef Beach Resort and Waterpark has 514 rooms and offers the most oceanfront accommodations in Myrtle Beach.
3. Crown Reef also underwent the largest resort renovation in the area in the last five years when it was recently refurbished from top to bottom. The resort has two new four-story waterslides, a large waterpark, 11 indoor and outdoor Jacuzzis, and the area’s longest resort oceanfront lazy river.
4. There are 20 AMF bowling lanes at Captain’s Quarters Resort. When you need a break from the sun or it’s one of the rare rainy days in Myrtle Beach, a fun game of bowling awaits right in your hotel.
5. Beach Colony Resort hosts dive-in movies during the summer. Hop in the pool or grab a poolside chair for a family-friendly movie on a large blow-up screen Mondays at 8:30 p.m.
6. Guests of all 14 resorts receive a VMB discount card, a special card that saves you money at hundreds of Myrtle Beach restaurants, attractions, bars, shops, golf and more.
7. Ocean Creek Resort offers 57 acres of walking and biking in its unique oceanfront habitat.
8. Enjoy a free 9-hole putt putt course and H2OASIS Waterpark at Landmark Resort. No need to leave your resort if you stay at Landmark; you can play putt-putt and get in days of water fun right on site.
9. Active and retired military receive a 5% discount, while first responders, including police, fire and EMTs, as well as teachers and educators get a $10 off per night coupon good at most Vacation Myrtle Beach resorts.
10. hotel BLUE has South Carolina’s first swim up pool bar complete with in-water bar stools. MIXX hosts pool parties with live music all summer long.
5 Must See Attractions in Myrtle Beach
Ripley’s Aquarium of Myrtle Beach
When I heard that the Ripley’s Aquarium of Myrtle Beach had mermaids, I knew I had to make sure my daughter saw this! The Ripley’s Aquarium is not very large, however you can surely spend hours of time here. I’ve never seen an exhibit like the Dangerous Reef before. You can hop on a glide path or just walk through and enjoy the sting rays, sharks, saw fish, sea turtles and more. After the glide path, we caught a fun dive show at Rainbow Rock featuring these mermaids!
If you have never played MagiQuest before, it is an interactive, live-action role playing game.
Magi’s embark on quests and adventures throughout the enchanted fantasy worlds to solve mysteries throughout the game. If you have played MagiQuest before at Great Wolf Lodge or another locations, you can use the same magic wand over and over again.
The only thing is that the quest you began elsewhere will not carry over to a new location. So, we began a new quest at the Myrtle Beach MagiQuest.
Since we have played the game before, we did not have to buy a new wand and had the option to play a 30, 60 or 90 minute game.
My son played twice, 90 minutes each time and he could have stayed all day at each location.
(Sadly, I have been informed that the Myrtle Beach MagiQuest has since closed)
The Carolina Opry
If you want to get a true taste of southern entertainment, The Carolina Opry is where it’s at. We figured why not do something completely outside of our norm and even comfort zone and catch a performance at the Calvin Gilmore Theater.
You’d never expect to find this kind of talent on The Grand Strand!
The Sky Wheel
No trip to Myrtle Beach is complete without a trip on the Sky Wheel.
Each gondola is air conditioned and is completely private for your own personal experience. Each gondola does three rotations in a “flight”, for a one-of-a-kind trip. This is no “ferris wheel” as my children thought.
After your Sky Wheel flight, grab a bite to eat or a drink at the Landshark. A few feet away is a great “boardwalk” style area to grab some souvenirs, as well as have the kids play some games and go on some rides.
Play Mini Golf
Being how Myrtle Beach is the golf capital of the world, it is only natural that it has over 50 miniature golf (aka: putt putt) courses, right?
We had no idea our children were such aficionados for the game of golf until we traveled to Myrtle Beach. We played at Jurassic Golf and Captain Hook’s Adventure Golf, both were really great times and perfect for a 4 and 6 year old to play.
Have you ever been to Myrtle Beach?
What is your Must See Attraction in Myrtle Beach?