Shrimp Stir Fry -Paleo/Whole 30
This is one of my go-to Paleo dinners! I love Chinese food and this is dish is a great, healthy alternative without any MSG or preservatives!
First we need to make the sauce!
- I chop 1 onion and saute it in olive oil until it is translucent.
- Then I add half of a large can of diced tomatoes or if I have a fresh tomatoes I use 3-4.
- Juice of 1 orange
- salt, pepper and 1tsp of paprika
- Simmer, covered for 15-20 minutes or until most of the liquid has cooked off.
- Blend the sauce together using an immersion blender or regular blender.
Now to cook the veggies & shrimp!
This is a great way for me to get rid of all of the leftover veggies in the refrigerator at the end of the week. The basics are usually:
- 3-4 peeled & diced carrots
- 2-3 stalks of celery
- 1 red onion sliced
- 1/4 of shredded green cabbage
If I have on hand, I like to also add mushrooms and zucchini. This time I had some broccoli so I used that! I first let the veggies saute in about 2 tsbp of olive oil. I make sure everything is coated. Then I add about a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water and cover the pan. Cooking on low and mixing occasionally I let the veggies steam until the carrots are able to be broken up. When they are done, I add them to a bowl so I can use the same pan to cook my shrimp.
I usually use 1 pound of cleaned shrimp, tails off. I have also used sliced steak and diced chicken instead, but I prefer the shrimp. I add 1 tbsp of olive oil,juice of half of lemon and some parsley to the shrimp. Cook until they are cooked through and bright pink, usually 2-3 minutes.
I then add the veggies back into the pan and mix with the shrimp. Add your blended sauce and heat everything up together for a few minutes.